cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Maximus VI Hero

xProvidence
Level 7
Hey guys, Providence here.

I'm new to building a computer however yesterday I successfully built one with only a few hiccups.

My specs:
Asus Maximus VI Hero
Intel i5 4670K, stock clock
Asus GTX 780 DirectCU II OC, stock clock
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 2X4 1600MHz
Corsair HX850
Samsung 840 Evo 500GB
2 X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Windows 8.1

Please prepare for a bombardment of questions.

I have already installed Windows 8.1, updated the video card, sound card and LAN drivers. What else should I update? Specifically, what motherboard drivers should I update? BIOS, too? Have I screwed the pooch by installing Windows 8.1 BEFORE updating the motherboard? Looking at the downloads available in the Asus website, under utilities I see a few programs and drivers that can be updated though I am VERY unsure, which is why I am here.

What maintenance programs and utilities should I install?

I say maintenance cause I'm completely new at this. What I mean is are there any programs and utilities I can use to keep my system running smoothly for as long as it can. Programs and utilities that can tell me how my system is doing without getting overly technical.

I am also having trouble setting up a RAID 1 configuration for my 2 HDDs. I have the OS installed on the SSD, not totally sure if my computer detects both HDDs but Disk Management shows two HDDs, both almost 1TB but not exactly the same size. I hooked everything up and installed the OS and all before I tried creating the RAID configuration.

The CPU fan header is also giving me trouble. The fan seems to spin too slowly which the computer doesn't like. I set the minimum value to 300 RPM which seems to have fixed it though i'm unclear how that works.

I won't overclock anything soon although I may use the gamer preset in the BIOS. Depends on my temps, but that's for another day.

If you've made it this far, you've my gratitude. Any help would be appreciated!

Very Best,
10 REPLIES 10

HiVizMan
Level 40
Basically with WIndows8.1, which I really like I must stress, you do not need to install much at all. Chipset driver if you want, LAN again your call, I did not need to.

RAID is a little more involved. What you needed to do was install your OS onto the SSD while your SARA mode was RAID. Then once finished you fit your two mechanical drives to the Intel ports and ctrl I and set up your RAID. This is the best way, software RAID I do not like.

In bios set up your fan threshold to below 400 RPM as you have done or simply disable.

OC - please rather learn how to OC. I do not suggest the presets unless you really could not be bothered.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

xProvidence
Level 7
Well, I think i'd rather update the BIOS/chipset and other drivers. Prevent problems which could arise from having outdated drivers.

Is it too late to disconnect the HDDs and set up RAID?

I have insufficient cooling right now so I probably won't be OC'ing. The most demanding task I'll be doing on my computer is watching streams and videos on High settings. I am gaming only in the summer due to university. I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus I took off my old computer.

xProvidence
Level 7
Okay so I'm trying to follow Dagmar's RAID guide and I am stuck on something. Should I update the chipset drivers and the Intel RST? If so, how do I go about doing this without installing the OS?

What confuses my noob @ss is I can't install the OS BEFORE setting up the RAID otherwise I will get a registry key issue (what I have now, installed OS at AHCI, switching to RAID and building RAID ends with a straight boot to the BIOS). If I can't install the OS before building a RAID, how do I update IRST?

If you want the Boot Drive to be the raid, download Easeus ToDo Backup. Its free and an easy tool to use. have a single drive ready to "Clone" the boot drive. After cloning, go into the UEFI and select the new single drive as the boot drive manually. Now you can use the drives you wanted before and set those up as raid. WHen they are done initializing, reboot into the single drive first, and use easeus todo again to clone onto the raid. and thats it.

This is if you want the raid to be the boot drive but you already have the huge SSD.

If you want the Boot Drive to be the raid, download Easeus ToDo Backup. Its free and an easy tool to use. have a single drive ready to "Clone" the boot drive. After cloning, go into the UEFI and select the new single drive as the boot drive manually. Now you can use the drives you wanted before and set those up as raid. WHen they are done initializing, reboot into the single drive first, and use easeus todo again to clone onto the raid. and thats it.

This is if you want the raid to be the boot drive but you already have the huge SSD.

BoDenKai
Level 7
Keep the SATA option as AHCI, boot up and run MSCONFIG, Go to boot tab, click safe mode, turn off computer, go to UEFI and change SATA option to RAID, then boot into windows. It will go straight into "Safe Mode" boot. Go back into MSCONFIG and unclick the "Safe Mode" option, and reboot and it will now stay in raid mode without any worries. Now you can start setting up raid.

xProvidence
Level 7
I can't boot up from the SSD. I may be doing something wrong but when ever since I built the RAID it screwed something up. It won't boot from the SSD even when I reverted back to AHCI, got rid of the RAID, and even when I disconnected the two HDDs. I could've easily wiped the SSD out and started from scratch (bootable USB, wipe everything, install from there) but I foolishly added data to the SSD and did not leave the original copy on my old hard drive. I was overzealous.

So after a few frustrating tries that included external hard drives, making a partition on one of the new hard drives and booting from there, I finally got my data back (and made multiple copies) and am now ready to start from the beginning. Starting from the beginning gives me the option of doing things in the correct order.

I am simply asking: what is that correct order of procedures with respect to preparing my PC (updates and all) for use and building a RAID before installing the OS? After the OS? 😄

So.....

Install the OS drive only. (assuming its the SSD)
Go into UEFI and change SATA mode to RAID.
Let it restart.
Install OS
After installation of OS, update all drivers. Have Intel RST program installed already and updated. There is nothing to do here yet.
Shut Down.
Install the drives you want in raid into the ports that are controlled by the Intel controller.
When you boot in, POST will show a RAID screen that says something about hitting CTRL + I. This option lets you build your raid.
When you go into that menu. I believe its (1) Create Raid. Go in there and create your raid, either Raid 0, 1, or whatever you want to make.
Choose the stripe size, I recommend 64kb stripes for raid 0. Raid 1 should have a default raid stripe size.
It will create the RAID and then it will let you boot into WIndows.
Now go into the Intel Rapid Storage Technology program and make sure it says that the raid is in there.

Thats all, now install all your programs in there.

Extra step i took is I had an extra 32GB SSD that I accelerated the RAID with............It worked but the SSD died after about a week of use and I had to redo the raid. Luckily I was in Raid 1 so I had all my stuff still. Good Luck

BoDenKai
Level 7
Do the raid after installing the OS. Install the OS with the SSD already in the RAID mode instead of AHCI. Once you have the OS installed and everything updated driver wise all on the SSD, then create the RAID.