Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Maximus VI Formula BIOS without CPU

Utkarsh_Anand
Level 7
HI Everyone,
This is my first post here so sorry If I sound like a Noob,
But my question was could one you/ or many teach me how to do a BIOS update on my sexy Maximus VI Formula, as I am buying a
4790K and I don't have another CPU so i'll be putting that CPU Straight in my Mobo, as far as from what I have learnt from other forums
is that I am supposed to download the latest bios, find the ".CAP" file and Rename that to "M6F.cap" and then put that on a FAT32
formatted flash drive. Am I correct so far?
And then where do I go from there? When I go to Asus's website to Download the BIOS update, firstly why is there a Beta version of the BIOS, wouldn't that be Harmful to my board? and another thing why does the update area say thing "Note: Must apply the attached BIOS updater tool first before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors."

How am I supposed to get on the BIOS Updater tool? When I don't even have the OS running on my board?

Anyway thanks to everyone who helps 😉

Kind Regards
Utkarsh Anand
23 REPLIES 23

HiVizMan
Level 40
Nope not yet mate, sent the email off same time. As soon as I hear anything I will post back.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Received official response.

the UEFI needs to be updated with a BOOTable CPU before the newer CPUs can be used.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks for the confirmation.

HiVizMan wrote:
Received official response.

jab383
Level 13
One piece of good news is that it works. At least it did for me. I used the utility in Windows to update the M6F to BIOS 1505. Got it in one shot. Whatever else it does to ME code probably also happened, but made no difference with the 4770K installed.

The case of a new Z87 board and only a Devil's Canyon CPU is more difficult. The M7F is ostensibly coming next month.

Jeff