cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Maximus VI Formula BIOS without CPU

Utkarsh_Anand
Level 7
HI Everyone,
This is my first post here so sorry If I sound like a Noob,
But my question was could one you/ or many teach me how to do a BIOS update on my sexy Maximus VI Formula, as I am buying a
4790K and I don't have another CPU so i'll be putting that CPU Straight in my Mobo, as far as from what I have learnt from other forums
is that I am supposed to download the latest bios, find the ".CAP" file and Rename that to "M6F.cap" and then put that on a FAT32
formatted flash drive. Am I correct so far?
And then where do I go from there? When I go to Asus's website to Download the BIOS update, firstly why is there a Beta version of the BIOS, wouldn't that be Harmful to my board? and another thing why does the update area say thing "Note: Must apply the attached BIOS updater tool first before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors."

How am I supposed to get on the BIOS Updater tool? When I don't even have the OS running on my board?

Anyway thanks to everyone who helps 😉

Kind Regards
Utkarsh Anand
500 Views
23 REPLIES 23

j0ewhite
Level 7
Hi, first post here and require some advice.

I have a Maximus VI Formula coming in and I'm thinking to order a 4970K since it'll be release soon (I hope).

From what I've gathered and read, I'll need to update the BIOS before anything else to use the newer processor.
Question is, do I use the 1402 or 1504 version of the BIOS? The 1402 is the stable version which supports i7-4970K? Or is it the 1504 which is still in beta?

And as OP mentioned, at the BIOS download page, there is a note: "Note: Must apply the attached BIOS updater tool first before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors."

I've downloaded the 1504 version just to see what's in it. There's indeed a folder for BIOS Updater Tool and the 1504 BIOS itself.
What should be the correct step?

I'm guessing to flash the BIOS (1402 or 1504) and ignore the Updater Tool folder?

Many thanks for help.

Hi, welcome
Firstly you mean the 4790K?
And you don't need to worry about the BIOS Updater tool
Firstly what you will need to do is Download the ZIP File and there you will see that there is a folder for the Updater tool, you don't have to worry about that. Then you will find a File, MAXIMUS-VI-FORMULA-ASUS-1504.CAP, firstly unzip that folder and rename the .CAP file to, M6F.cap and now you will have to put that file into a FAT32 drive, I recommend a freshly formatted one and put it in the lower most USB 2.0 port. And then you will have to plug the 24 Pin power connector and you don't need to have the Processor or Memory installed for this and press the BIOS Flash button, in the manual they will refer to this as the ROG Connect Button, and then the light on that button will start flashing, when the button has stopped flashing then you are ready to throw in your CPU (not literally)

Hope I was able to help

Kind Regards
Utkarsh Anand


j0ewhite wrote:
Hi, first post here and require some advice.

I have a Maximus VI Formula coming in and I'm thinking to order a 4970K since it'll be release soon (I hope).

From what I've gathered and read, I'll need to update the BIOS before anything else to use the newer processor.
Question is, do I use the 1402 or 1504 version of the BIOS? The 1402 is the stable version which supports i7-4970K? Or is it the 1504 which is still in beta?

And as OP mentioned, at the BIOS download page, there is a note: "Note: Must apply the attached BIOS updater tool first before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors."

I've downloaded the 1504 version just to see what's in it. There's indeed a folder for BIOS Updater Tool and the 1504 BIOS itself.
What should be the correct step?

I'm guessing to flash the BIOS (1402 or 1504) and ignore the Updater Tool folder?

Many thanks for help.

Hi Utkarsh

Thank you very much for the guidance.

Yes, I meant the 4790K. With your info, I think I'll order one when it's released in Amazon.

Regarding the version of the BIOS, is 1504 the correct one which supports the 4790K? Or is 1402 ok too? Cause I read HERE that 1402 is the stable version (instead of beta)?



Utkarsh_Anand wrote:
Hi, welcome
Firstly you mean the 4790K?
And you don't need to worry about the BIOS Updater tool
Firstly what you will need to do is Download the ZIP File and there you will see that there is a folder for the Updater tool, you don't have to worry about that. Then you will find a File, MAXIMUS-VI-FORMULA-ASUS-1504.CAP, firstly unzip that folder and rename the .CAP file to, M6F.cap and now you will have to put that file into a FAT32 drive, I recommend a freshly formatted one and put it in the lower most USB 2.0 port. And then you will have to plug the 24 Pin power connector and you don't need to have the Processor or Memory installed for this and press the BIOS Flash button, in the manual they will refer to this as the ROG Connect Button, and then the light on that button will start flashing, when the button has stopped flashing then you are ready to throw in your CPU (not literally)

Hope I was able to help

Kind Regards
Utkarsh Anand

The 1402 is for the Haswell-Refresh by that I mean the Non-Unlocked versions the 1504 are Devils Canyon Processors so you will have to download 1504, I talked to JJ from Asus and he said in a couple of weeks there will be a Full stable update available in about 1 week or 2, so if you're getting it in that time frame you might have a full update, I am getting my parts in about 2-3 days, so I will be going for the BETA build and then when the full BIOS update is out I will be upgrading to that.
You can do that too if you will be getting your parts soon, It's perfectly fine, I contacted JJ and he said that's perfectly fine to do 🙂

Hope I helped

Kind Regards
Utkarsh Anand
j0ewhite wrote:
Hi Utkarsh

Thank you very much for the guidance.

Yes, I meant the 4790K. With your info, I think I'll order one when it's released in Amazon.

Regarding the version of the BIOS, is 1504 the correct one which supports the 4790K? Or is 1402 ok too? Cause I read HERE that 1402 is the stable version (instead of beta)?

Thanks again, you did helped.

I guess I'll go with that. Just this post here which worries me initially... but what the heck.

Utkarsh_Anand wrote:
The 1402 is for the Haswell-Refresh by that I mean the Non-Unlocked versions the 1504 are Devils Canyon Processors so you will have to download 1504, I talked to JJ from Asus and he said in a couple of weeks there will be a Full stable update available in about 1 week or 2, so if you're getting it in that time frame you might have a full update, I am getting my parts in about 2-3 days, so I will be going for the BETA build and then when the full BIOS update is out I will be upgrading to that.
You can do that too if you will be getting your parts soon, It's perfectly fine, I contacted JJ and he said that's perfectly fine to do 🙂

Hope I helped

Kind Regards
Utkarsh Anand

jh30uk
Level 11
I am not sure what will happen with this method as you are doing it without a CPU.

I can tell you from myself and 2 other peeps I know that the Updater is needed to update the Intel ME 1st or when you use EZFlash to flash bios then and swap CPU's the new 4970k does not work.

Unless that method updates the Management Engine it will not work.

jh30uk wrote:
I am not sure what will happen with this method as you are doing it without a CPU.

I can tell you from myself and 2 other peeps I know that the Updater is needed to update the Intel ME 1st or when you use EZFlash to flash bios then and swap CPU's the new 4970k does not work.

Unless that method updates the Management Engine it will not work.

Hello

BIOS Flashback will not update the ME code. As you have noted the Updater Tool is needed to flash the ME segment which requires a bootable system.

j0ewhite
Level 7
Ok. Can anyone from ASUS confirm on this?

My situation is, I have a M6F coming in soon. I'm thinking of ordering the i7-4790K to go with it.

How do I flash the BIOS to ensure compatibility?

HiVizMan
Level 40
I have asked for official clarification.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi HiVizMan, any news from ASUS before I pre-order a 4790K? 🙂

HiVizMan wrote:
I have asked for official clarification.