Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Maximus VI Formula BIOS without CPU

Utkarsh_Anand
Level 7
HI Everyone,
This is my first post here so sorry If I sound like a Noob,
But my question was could one you/ or many teach me how to do a BIOS update on my sexy Maximus VI Formula, as I am buying a
4790K and I don't have another CPU so i'll be putting that CPU Straight in my Mobo, as far as from what I have learnt from other forums
is that I am supposed to download the latest bios, find the ".CAP" file and Rename that to "M6F.cap" and then put that on a FAT32
formatted flash drive. Am I correct so far?
And then where do I go from there? When I go to Asus's website to Download the BIOS update, firstly why is there a Beta version of the BIOS, wouldn't that be Harmful to my board? and another thing why does the update area say thing "Note: Must apply the attached BIOS updater tool first before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors."

How am I supposed to get on the BIOS Updater tool? When I don't even have the OS running on my board?

Anyway thanks to everyone who helps 😉

Kind Regards
Utkarsh Anand
23 REPLIES 23

NemesisChild
Level 12
Welcome to the forum!

You do not need to rename the cap file, just placed it (and nothing else) on a formatted FAT32 flash drive.
Place it into a USB port, start the PC tab the delete key to enter the BIOS.
Navigate to Tool, then select ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility and follow the simple guide.

Easy as 123 and no CPU is needed.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

So I can do this without the CPU Installed?
So I don't have to flash it?
NemesisChild wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

You do not need to rename the cap file, just placed it (and nothing else) on a formatted FAT32 flash drive.
Place it into a USB port, start the PC tab the delete key to enter the BIOS.
Navigate to Tool, then select ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility and follow the simple guide.

Easy as 123 and no CPU is needed.

Tokens210
Level 10
No you don't need the CPU installed

Yes it'll flash it, that's what the ez flash he mentioned will do, it needs to be a freshly formatted flash drive with nothing but the bios and the ez flash should auto detect it, you probly dont even need to rename it, the ez update thing will show you what it is when u select it or when it auto detects it

If you wanna see visuals JJ from Asus has YouTube videos on bios updating, his channel is PCDIY or Asus PCDIY

Also if I were to take a stab in the dark at the warning message ur asking about, around the last bios they released a bios updater that would run thru the OS, my guess is the warning is directed at ppl upgrading from haswell to haswell refresh letting them know they need to update or that maybe by having the app it would tell you in first boot that you need an update, not an expert or anything here just a shot in the dark guess lol
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

And what are the Connection I will need to make to my Motherboard?
Tokens210 wrote:
No you don't need the CPU installed

Yes it'll flash it, that's what the ez flash he mentioned will do, it needs to be a freshly formatted flash drive with nothing but the bios and the ez flash should auto detect it, you probly dont even need to rename it, the ez update thing will show you what it is when u select it or when it auto detects it

If you wanna see visuals JJ from Asus has YouTube videos on bios updating, his channel is PCDIY or Asus PCDIY

Also if I were to take a stab in the dark at the warning message ur asking about, around the last bios they released a bios updater that would run thru the OS, my guess is the warning is directed at ppl upgrading from haswell to haswell refresh letting them know they need to update or that maybe by having the app it would tell you in first boot that you need an update, not an expert or anything here just a shot in the dark guess lol

Tokens210
Level 10
I believe but I'm not really sure so I'd wait for another to confirm but it should be just the main 20+4 or 24pin power
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Can you please explain to me what exactly the "EZ FLash 2" is?
Is it a GUI Enabled thing or it's not.
I'm quite confused with all this, other places I have read they have told me that I need to press the BIOS Flash button and put the .cap file in the flashdrive as M6F.cap.
I am very confused
Tokens210 wrote:
I believe but I'm not really sure so I'd wait for another to confirm but it should be just the main 20+4 or 24pin power

dingo99
Level 10
You should do what you've been told in the other forums. Without a CPU installed, it is impossible to use the keyboard or to see anything onscreen, so you cannot use EZ Flash (i.e., flashing inside BIOS/UEFI).

The feature you want is called USB BIOS Flashback. Refer to section 2.2 of the printed manual or: http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/ Only 24-pin power should be required, and yes, you need to rename the file to M6F.CAP

Tokens210
Level 10
Yes I've never done it without a CPU that's why I didn't say how to do it that way but only answered the questions you asked after the original one

My fault I should have been more clear on that part

HiVizMan
Level 40
Dingo has given you good advice. Simply follow the guide or if all else fails have a look in your user manual the guide is reproduced there too.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.