cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unofficial Spectre Patched BIOS for ASUS X58 Motherboards

Regeneration
Level 7
Linked below is a database of modified BIOSes for ASUS X58 motherboards patched with the latest microcode (0x1F for Westmere, 0x1D for Bloomfield) against Meltdown and all variants of Spectre. Make sure the operating system is also updated to be fully protected from speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities (CVE-2017-5715, CVE-2017-5753, CVE-2017-5754).

While most of Nehalem CPUs received a new microcode from Intel, there is an early stepping (C0) that hasn't and therefore still vulnerable at the moment. However, these very few CPUs will also benefit from increased security and stability due to more recent microcode. In addition, the ROMs feature TRIM support for SSDs in RAID0 and extended CPU compatibility table for all motherboards.

Unofficial ROMs! use at your own risk.

Other useful downloads

Some 3DMark and AIDA64 benchmark results are available here.

I normally hang on TechPowerUp, here's the original thread in case you want to report a bug.
Used to run ngohq.com. Now just a professional troll.
5 REPLIES 5

Regeneration
Level 7
Added patched ROMs for ASUS X58 (55X0 IOH) server motherboards to the collection.

Regeneration
Level 7
Updated ROMs with more recent microcode for 106A4.

Regeneration
Level 7
Updated all ROMs with TRIM support for SSDs in RAID0.

@Regeneration,

Thank you for modifying these BIOSes.

I still have several machines with R2E and R3E running strong still today. Excellent boards BTW.

I just found this page looking for a way to mitigate for Spectre.

I also want to be able to do RAID 0 with trim and use a Xeon W3690 (I have a modified R3E BIOS that allow me to do that already but without the Spectre patch)

So I would be very grateful if you could answer these questions with regards to the modified BIOS files (you linked to above) for Rampage II Extreme and Rampage III Extreme. Do the R2E and R3E BIOS files you linked:
1. support large SSDs and HDs - like 4 TB ?
2. support RAID 0 SSDs with TRIM? I assume yes
3. support the Xeon W3690, W3680 CPUs. I know the official ASUS R2E BIOS 2101 support the Core i7 990X and 980X, but ASUS does not list the Xeons as supported like they do with R3E.
4. If these modified BIOS files support the Xeon W3690, do the BIOSes allow OCing like the original BIOS do for 980X, 990X, i.e. are they unlocked?
5. What is the Intel RAID ROM version inside modified BIOS files? I assume: v11.7.4.1001
6. Want Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver do you recommend version ? I assume v11.7.4.1001 since you link to that above.

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Best regards

Regeneration
Level 7
The answer for questions 1-4 is: yes.
RAID O-ROM version branch remains closest to the original so it won't break arrays.
RST 11.7.4.1001 is the recommend driver unless you have issues and then use the OS driver.