cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unbalanced sound on vi Hero with Windows 10 and 2.1 speakers.

Borgvar
Level 7
Hi.

Ive noticed that in WIndows 10 the right speaker has a lower output than the left when using a 2.1 Speaker.

It worked fine on all other Windows versions.

Its Corsair SP2500 speakers.

If i use the generic WIndows driver it works but then it reqognizes the system as a 7.1 system and the audio enhancing isnt there so i
cant use the built in Equalizer.

The latest Realtek driver and the Driver from Asus has the output problem.
I can adjust the balance with these drivers but the output is significantly lower so this affects the sound.
And the sound is supposed to be these cards strong point with the FX module.

Anyone who knows how to fix it?
22 REPLIES 22

motorhead
Level 7
I encountered a similar problem with updated drivers. My main test was using youtube in chrome.
Now this is a not an ideal fix but it will correct the balance problem with the correct audio configuration.
If this consistently work, there is likely something wrong with the special effects that needs to be fixed.
Hopefully it works for others.
1. I used Playback devices temporarily configure as another channel output like 7.1 or quad channel. (this is key).
2. Went into the properties of the selected audio device.
3. Go to the enhancements tab and Check Disable all sound effects. (None of them were checked in the first place)
4. Ok all the way out.
5. Set it back to the correct channel/speaker configuration for your setup.
6. Depending on what you may be testing with... you may need to refresh, relaunch or reboot to then check the result properly.

motorhead wrote:
I encountered a similar problem with updated drivers. My main test was using youtube in chrome.
Now this is a not an ideal fix but it will correct the balance problem with the correct audio configuration.
If this consistently work, there is likely something wrong with the special effects that needs to be fixed.
1. I used Playback devices temporarily configure as another channel output like 7.1 or quad channel. (this is key).
3. Go to the enhancements tab and Check Disable all sound effects. (None of them were checked in the first place)
4. Ok all the way out.
6. Depending on what you may be testing with... you may need to refresh, relaunch or reboot to then check the result properly.

Thank you ! This worked great for me - I've been Googling this issue for months now haha

motorhead wrote:
4. Ok all the way out.

I have done this but then I run into problems with my microphone when I do this...

My temp fix until an update come about (not holding my breath) is adjusting the Left Right balance. Seems to work for now...
Intel i7 4770k OC @ 4.4Ghz
ASUS Maximus VI Hero
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Asus GTX 780 ti
Corsair H80i

motorhead wrote:

But I can't configure the output device, because the "Configure" button is greyed out.

I also can't disable all enhancements, because for me "dts connect" is listed as enhancement. I can't even remember when or how that happened. It wasn't like that before, but now DTS is an enhancement, so if I disable them all (as is often suggested) I disable DTS Connect, which is what I'm trying to get to work.

motorhead wrote:
4. Ok all the way out.

I literally just created an account here so I can thank you motorhead for your workaround. 🙂
This was one of the nastiest bugs I've ever had with my PC, something messed up my audio when I updated to Windows Anniversary Update. I have a Z170 Pro Gaming mobo with the Realtek ALC1150, which produces a surprisingly good high quality sound, but the balance problem messed everything up for me, and I had to go back to the default Microsoft HD Audio driver which is far inferior in quality.

Although your workaround works in terms of restoring the correct stereo balance, it still disables all enhancements such as the EQ and Loudness Equalization.
I'm now running on Realtek driver 7982, and I'm still waiting for a final complete fix from Asus or Realtek in the near future, and hopefully that will come soon now since the Anniversary Update has supposedly matured.
Fingers crossed.

Ok, I'm just going to bump this issue up in the hopes of a response or a fix from Asus.

This issue is becoming so frustrating that I cannot stand how my speakers sound anymore, and I don't want to purchase a sound card because the ALC1150 really did produce amazing sound quality WHEN it used to work.

Please someone from Asus please look into this or at least give us a workaround or a patch, just something..

I decided to balance the sound problem. Remove the registry branch "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Nahimic" and reinstall the driver Realtek HD.

Andrij wrote:
I decided to balance the sound problem. Remove the registry branch "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Nahimic" and reinstall the driver Realtek HD.

Andrij you are a life-saver sir!
I don't know how or why, but your solution did seem to work miracles! I can confirm that your solution works perfectly and restores equal balance to my speakers with ANY Realtek HD Audio driver. I'm now running the latest drivers in the 80xx branch from Realtek and the sound is music to my ears, both figuratively and literally :cool:

I have developed a habit to delete that registry key every time before I install new drivers and I haven't run into any more issues.

Thank you so much for your help Andrij, and I hope Realtek or Asus can take note from this issue and modify their drivers accordingly.

Cheers!

Andrij wrote:

This works too. Very cool thank you!