cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Think new Mobo is faulty

jh30uk
Level 10
New MAXIMUS VI EXTREME (C Stepping) and Intel 4770K, no matter what I do there is 1 of the 4 MEMOK LED's lit permanently (not flashing).

It is the 3rd one so assume its either for slot 2 or 3 depending on what way its wired but even with 1 stick of Memory in any slot it still stays lit.

I started with 1 stick nearest the CPU and it still lit.

I have tried all 4 Corsair sticks in all slots, same again with 4 GSKILL sticks and the same LED lit.

I have tried every bios and powered down and reset bios each time with battery removed.

I took Mobo out of case, removed the Noctua cooler and CPU and checked all pins were fine and then fitted the Intel cooler to make sure no bending of PCB was cause of issue.

I ran it on a bit of cardboard so no shorting going on.

I have no other PSU to try but the Enermax Revolution 85+1020w which was fine in my Rog Z68+2700k+16GB.

The PC boots and I had Windows up and running but if I try to change from Auto to CPU Level Up 4.2 or above it simply will not post or gets as far as Windows boot screen then gets a BSOD.

Once it did get into Windows at 4.2 but crashes almost instantly upon stressing.

I also tried to load the Gamers profile, same again no post or BSOD.

I tried some manual settings but am coming from Z68 to Z87 so need time to learn the new settings but those auto overclocks should work or at least post/get into OS.

I think this Mobo is to blame as its very rarely the CPU as it works or does not and there is no fault code or warning lights at the 24pin socket but that MEMOK LED should not be lit.

All above was tried with both my memory kits and 1-4 sticks and always same end result of no post or a BSOD.

It also tends to forget some changes to the bios I make but my Z68 did the same early on till later bios builds.

I know it happens as my Z68 was DOA with no codes but 1 red LED and replacement worked fine.
20 REPLIES 20

jh30uk
Level 10
I do not see it in above sticky, will use search after dinner (still tired from lack of sleep due to this PC).

Edit : http://rog.asus.com/127362012/overclocking/memtest-user-guide-for-rog-motherboards/ < This guide?

I have a new Mobo/CPU coming tomorrow, the store agree its not right.

I just read about the Asus tip to see if you have a good CPU with setting Multi to 46 and voltage to 1.2v and trying to post bios and get into Windows, if fails try 1.25v.

I fail at even1.3v and see no point in trying higher as it just confirms my above info.

I am hoping lightning does not strike twice and I will be sorted tomorrow.

P.S I assume leaving my CPU at stock (3500/3900 Turbo) and applying load with say prime95 will give me my proper VID in CPU-Z or Aida64, if so its 1.3v which is high going by some others I have read about.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Mate do not stress it too much, not all CPUs are made equal and if yours needs a little more voltage to get where you want to be so be it. At the end of the day we will sort out your issue one way or another.

Go get some sleep.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Retired
Not applicable
Ok, First you stated that the mobo could be broke, but now you saying that you in fact even can run Prime95?

Dont sound so broke to me then

Please explain

jh30uk
Level 10
When did I state the PC could not boot to Windows in fact I stated it did.

The MEMOK LED is still lit and no DIMM is fitted to it.

I know for a fact I will be sorted with new Mobo/CPU as one of these parts is bad.

There is also other issues I will put down to that.

You think its normal the PC cannot even post at Auto CPU L:evel Up?

Asus make these profiles for even n00bs to be able to OC and have to take into the mix poor CPU's so voltages will be a little high but should use the VID.

I had my Z68+2700k as far as 5GHZ (manually set) so I am not new to overclocking but new to Haswell.

I am on the Intel cooler right now so no stressing and it will be gone by tomorrow.

jh30uk wrote:

Asus make these profiles for even n00bs to be able to OC and have to take into the mix poor CPU's so voltages will be a little high but should use the VID.

My system didn't like the preconfigured profiles either, Manually changed in BIOS and works perfectly fine.
The ASUS Profiles are a "starting point" and not a guaranteed working profile.
Spend a few minutes, check voltages (especially RAM) and keep trying. I had to drop my Kingston HyperX from 1.65 to 1.6 to be stable at OC speeds.

cdcbr3 wrote:
My system didn't like the preconfigured profiles either, Manually changed in BIOS and works perfectly fine.
The ASUS Profiles are a "starting point" and not a guaranteed working profile.
Spend a few minutes, check voltages (especially RAM) and keep trying. I had to drop my Kingston HyperX from 1.65 to 1.6 to be stable at OC speeds.

The Auto 4.2/4.4/4.6 should work at least (may not pass stressing) same as all my previous Rogs, I was not to worried about the other profiles in the other newer section like "Gamer Profile" etc. but that is what guides states to use.

The fact remains there is a hardware issue and no point in me wasting any more time till its swapped out.

I at no time stated to above user my PC passed prime95, I only ran it a few secs with the Noctua cooler to get VID on load.

I have done all that is possible to fix this and its not fixable and store agrees with all my issues in OP.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Cooler heads prevail. The ROG way. Salute.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Good to hear there is positive progress, true not in the way we would like but progress. Keep us posted jh30uk as to how it pans out.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

jh30uk
Level 10
The repayment Mobo/CPU came this morning, opened box and looked at part number and EAN only to hit the floor with disappointment.

They had ignored my request they make 100% sure it was a C Stepping Mobo without the known Intel Z87 USB/sleep issue.

My 1st Mobo was and all new stock since July 2013 should be so no clue how stock they go in during Dec 2013 had both versions.

I refused to use and called them up and they have hand picked a C Stepping Mobo and its arrives tomorrow (they cover the Sat Del charges), boss told me the guy should have done his job and got me one in 1st place as its a legit fault and Intel do replace them without issue.

So I have been struck twice with lightening so far.

For anyone wondering the part numbers on all Asus Z87's models with the newer fixed C Stepping are same as before but with a "5" on the end, also each model will have a totally different EAN from B Stepping, hope this helps others not buy a faulty chipset this late in the day as they should really all be out of stock by now in UK anyway but read some peeps in OZ still having issues getting newer ones around OCT 2013 time.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Dude I am so sorry, holding thumbs that this time they get it right.