cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermal Radar 2, is it really accurate?

McSusa
Level 7
Cpu at idle jumps between 29c and 33c shown by TR2. Realtemp shows 37c to 41c. Which software is really correct?

Cpu cooler: Phantek PH-TC12DX with push pull fans at 1350 rpm. No overclocking. Used Arctic Silver 5.
CPUID show core speed at about 2.107 at idle. However in games goes up to 4.4 at 1.258v.

W7 Pro 64bit, i7-4790k, Evga GTX980 FTW 4 gb, Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2, VG278HE, G.Skill Sniper 16GB 1866, 2 Intel SSD's, 3 Seagate Barracudas, Thermaltake Core V51, Corsair RM850i
3 REPLIES 3

Korth
Level 14
Software is never correct, lol. It reads values from firmware, which is also never correct. There is no substitute for actually measuring hardware temps directly.

That being said, I think Thermal Radar is junk. CPUID HWMonitor may not be more accurate but will certainly not be less accurate. Lightweight, clean, efficient, accurate enough, free, don't even need to run it through Windows Installers, certainly don't need to run it as constant background bloatware (unlike most Asus/ROG wares).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

McSusa
Level 7
Thanks for the reply.

Question, how can I control the fan speeds if I don't use Asus Suite 3 Thermal Radar 2?

Undermoose
Level 7
Your monitoring software will provide real world application for managing your cooling. It's as accurate as you are going to get for real world use. Go ahead and measure to your heart's content for analytical purposes, but whatever software used to control your cooling it'll be as accurate as the sensors. For real world use I actually like AI Suite 3 on my Sabertooth X99, but you need to study your fan layout, sensors, and determine which sensors and what proportions (mix) you might apply. It is in fact ROCKET SCIENCE!

For example, if your motherboard has external thermal sensors (jumpers with sensor wires you can attach to a device) to test and add fan control based off whatever device (GPU typically) you wish to get temps off of, and then make case fans spin up based off those temps (GPU temps in my case) so you can control ambient heat inside your case (because you run dual AMD R9Fury Strix like me)... you might want to put a significant amount of weight to that external temp sensor on the fan(s) mix so you'll get the most airflow possible while gaming and your GPU ramps up to speed and temp...

Or just add weight to the motherboard ambient temp sensor so they can ramp up case fans, problem there is the ambient temp curve will be a lot lower than PCH, VCore, CPU temps, so it's more practical to tie an external sensor to the GPU and make it spin up the fans when needed while letting the sensors for devices with different temp ranges operate on their own curve. The example here is ambient motherboard temps will be way lower than PCH, VCore, CPU, GPU so they can't be put on the same temp curve due to the different ranges.

Yeah, lots of thought here to air cooling. I hate messing with liquid cooling outside of sealed loop CPU coolers. Almost bit on the R9Fury X with its sealed loop liquid cooling, but went air cooled Strix (force of habit).