cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System freezes

Fenrir
Level 7
Hey,

I have been trying to find out what is causing my system crashes lately, and this motherboard is doing some really crazy things. I got tired of blowing up power supplies (cause I went through 6, 1000 watt ones) so I finally knuckled under and got a 1600 watt supply unit. My system has been running stable for months, never needed to turn it off but lately a lot of bad things have been happening. I know my system was terribly under powered for a long time after running all the things installed in my system, but I ran the system carefully for a long time as to not overload it. I haven't been using my system for a lot of games but I have been doing a lot of virtual machining on it. Lately after loading 2 VM's (1 of ubuntu linux, another with windows XP) has been causing it to freeze up. With the first 5 minutes of them running, I'm forced to restart my system. The funny thing is, I have been running close to 7 VM's at a time, diverting about 2 cores and 2 gigs of ram to each without any problems what so ever. However after about 7 months now, its just started to hang up uncontrollably. I thought by upgrading my power supply, my ram and CPU would have more energy and would fix my crashing, but it hasn't. I know my software isn't the cause of this because I contain all my web browsing, and experimental programs inside the VM's so the main OS has nothing loaded on it other then VMware workstation 9, blizzard games, and smite, along with McVee 8.8 SP2 Enterprise edition and all the system drivers. Now after upgrading my power supply, I have lost control of all my USB ports. Some of the USB devices that has been connected to the system without insadent for over a year is no longer detectable by the hardware. I have many things to this system that are controlled through USB to Serial converters that the hardware now can no longer detect. Also, if I ran my system idle (as in just boot it up and let it sit there) after about 10 minutes, the system will freeze up and stall, but I can run this basic Ubuntu VM at 1 gig of ram, using 1 core nicely as long as smite is sitting idle on my desktop. It's wierd, but if I don't load up something that displays something very graphical, this hardware will actually lock up on me again. It has just froze as I wrote this message and the other monitor that has Smite running has released my system from being hung so I can continue to write this.

Before we get started with answer this question...my box has been sealed shut for the past 7 months so the ram has not came out of it's socket and has been carefully seated in my system for over a year now. Also, no matter what you do to this hardware, the ram cannot pop out of its sockets cause the liquid cooling blocks are firmly anchoring the sticks down so they can't come lose even if you wanted it to.

Slowly this system is gradually beginning to lose control of it's basic functionality

I forgot to add:
- Power supply that I have been using before (and has been blowing up on me) http://koolance.com/1000w-liquid-cooled-power-supply-refurb
- New power supply that I am using now http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182251
- What my system looks like (I don't know if this makes any difference) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ub4e90lbw4vlkqp/AABGOQ9drcc7C3rEzrTbB7bIa/Gaming%20PC
- This is one of the items that I have lost the ability to talk to properly http://koolance.com/tms-205-software-thermal-interface-controller
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 2.6.1.7600
CPU TYPE: Intel® Core™ i7-3960X CPU @ 3.30GHz
CPU SPEED: 3.33 GHz
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Rampage 4 Extreme BF3 Edition
SYSTEM MEMORY: 31.98 GB
MEMORY MODEL: Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R
VIDEO CARD 1 MODEL:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
VIDEO CARD 2 MODEL:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
VIDEO CARD MEMORY: 3.95 GB
HARD DISK SIZE: 1.82 TB
COOLING TYPE: Liquid
COOLING BRAND: Koolance.com
3 REPLIES 3

maximiza
Level 11
you might want to check the electrical system in the structure your in. I have seen ground faults at the wall plug that will cause allot of problems, plus some older electrical systems get problems. I sell to labs and stuff, sometimes the local electrical grid is not that great and they need conditioners to make the power nice and smooth. Plus with delicate measuring equipment you can get data errata in measurments due to bad power supply grids.

Fenrir
Level 7
so what you suggest is running it thought a conditioner? perhaps an isolation transformer?
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 2.6.1.7600
CPU TYPE: Intel® Core™ i7-3960X CPU @ 3.30GHz
CPU SPEED: 3.33 GHz
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Rampage 4 Extreme BF3 Edition
SYSTEM MEMORY: 31.98 GB
MEMORY MODEL: Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R
VIDEO CARD 1 MODEL:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
VIDEO CARD 2 MODEL:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
VIDEO CARD MEMORY: 3.95 GB
HARD DISK SIZE: 1.82 TB
COOLING TYPE: Liquid
COOLING BRAND: Koolance.com

maximiza
Level 11
i would start with just a simple plug tester like this.
I just picked them off the internet , i do not work for them

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tools/test-measurement/Metrs-HVAC-R/gardner-bender-gfci-outlet-tes...

this will just for faults though not consistancy