cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden oc interruption

Fallen-Angel
Level 7
Good evening mates,

I oced my rig as in description/signature 3 month ago and two weeks ago, suddenly I got a blue screen and after I wasn't able to run FAH or Prime with the same settings (crashed after some minutes). Also after a cold boot got a lot of blue screens and a lot of programs didn't run properly.
First I thought it was a software/driver issue, so I formatted both my HDDs and made an RAID0 array. Installed the Win7, all drivers and software again. Tried to use the same oc settings but didn't succeed. I tried to reduce the freq but let the Vcore the same. First I set the freq to 4.0, couldn't run Prime for longer as 20min. Then I reduced the freq to 3.8 and set the Vcore to 1.45v, but still the same issue. Prime doesn't run longer than 2 hours without errors. Then I started to oc from beginning/stock. But couldn't find any Vcore setting for stable (Prime) oc. Got always (no matter after what time) errors like rounding error (got x, expected y..). Yesterday I just set the settings on stock (except my memory, it's on XMP profile) and let the ASUS Auto Tuning software to oc my rig (Extreme). So now I have 3.847Ghz @1.4v Vcore. The software increased only fsb. When I run prime, it takes 4-5 hours for first (rounding) error. (I also played some games while prime was on, but I don't think it's a trouble.)

My question now is, are there any oc which "survive" the Prime test without errors? (longer than 4hrs) Because when I oced before, I only waited one hour for for Prime and when I didn't get any errors, I increased the multiplier or decreased the Vcore. When I got an error within the one hour. I increased the Vcore. So at last when I found a stable Vcore & clock (it was 4118Ghz) I just added 2x0.00625v (increase the Vcore by two times) in order to run FAH properly. (Vcore was @1.5125v)

Now I don't know if it's necessary to let the prime run so long in order to know that I won't get blue screens or freezing while FAH.

Any Ideas why that happened?

Best regards,

FA

P.S.: Now I have the following settings: Clock: 3847Mhz (213*18); Vcore: 1.4v; CPU/NB Vcore: 1.3v; rest: Auto
I also run FAH now and we'll see how long the rig can fold.
15 REPLIES 15

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you have been folding your CPU 24/7 there could be a number or reasons why this has happened.

The first thing I would do is remount my CPU.
Next I would flash my BIOS to the same BIOS version it currently is.

Possible for BIOS to become a little scrambled, you are happy with that BIOS so no need to change BIOS version. Just re-flash. But do it after the CPU reseat. The fan could have shifted or been bumped, anything like that could cause the seal of the TM and between the IHS and the cooler to crack.

Post back how it goes please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Could be your PSU is starting to give out or a faulty memory module.
Had similar issues a while back and narrowed it down to one faulty RAM stick, RMA solved the problem.
I run HyperPi 32M on all cores when initially testing a new CPU, CPU/NB, and memory overclock.
99% of the time, if it passes two runs of HyperPi 32M, it's considered a stable overclock.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Fallen-Angel
Level 7
Thank you for fast replies. At least I have something where I can start ^^
First of all, I doubt the PSU may cause that issue, because I use my both GPUs @920Mhz without problems while gaming. I think if my PSU had any issue on power, I would have problems to play games. I also checked my RAM with memtest86+ for some hours. Nevertheless I use your advise NemesisChild and test them with HyperPi and I also have MaxxPi to check the RAM etc.
@HiVizMan yeah I was folding 24/7 (and I hope to do that further) and I actually reinstalled my CPU because a friend of mine wanted to check his mobo. When I installed it back, the BIOS asked me to apply BIOS settings (like the first time, when installing a CPU). Now I wait till I get a BC (if I get one, if my oc is unstable) because of FAH and then I reflash the BIOS. Here I also doubt the issue with my fans and the cooling system. I monitor and log my temps permanently and they were quite good as always. ^^

Thank you guys for getting me on the start line, I'll tell you how the FAH went tonight and the results of testing etc.

gn8

NemesisChild
Level 12
From what you describe, could also be an issue with a HDD, much harder to troubleshoot though.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Fallen-Angel
Level 7
Seems legit. I also had some BC with bad_pool_header, ntfs_file_system etc, caused by ntfs.sys while booting the OS.
But during the time in Windows, I don't have any issues....

Now I'm folding for 17 hrs and I don't know why I can't run Prime that long... I'll get new Prime 95 and try again.
A also have run HyperPi and MaxxPi2 etc. No errors. Maybe it really was something with BIOS? I downloaded Prime95 and check that issue again. Then I reflash my BIOS.

Fallen-Angel
Level 7
So after 17 hours of folding I run Prime and I got the first (rounding) errors after 20min. Then I reflashed the BIOS and let the setting on stock, except my RAM (XMP 1600Mhz Profile). Now the Prime is running for 5 hours and I let it run 20-24 hours to check if any errors appear. Another interesting thing is this:

Sometimes I also get warning messages from AI Suite, it says the temp or voltage of anything is too high or also too low. when I want to check that out, they are already normal. But this "issue" I have since I purchased that mobo, so I don't think it's anything serious.
If Prime will work fine for 24 hrs, I let the TurboV oc the rig automatically and test prime again. Maybe the flash solved that issue with unstable (Prime) oc.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers for letting us know how things are going. Will check back a little later after you have done your Prime stress test.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Fallen-Angel
Level 7

I'm gone to work, start memtest86+

HiVizMan
Level 40
You are so kidding me 21 hours and it fails. How much more stable can you get.