cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden oc interruption

Fallen-Angel
Level 7
Good evening mates,

I oced my rig as in description/signature 3 month ago and two weeks ago, suddenly I got a blue screen and after I wasn't able to run FAH or Prime with the same settings (crashed after some minutes). Also after a cold boot got a lot of blue screens and a lot of programs didn't run properly.
First I thought it was a software/driver issue, so I formatted both my HDDs and made an RAID0 array. Installed the Win7, all drivers and software again. Tried to use the same oc settings but didn't succeed. I tried to reduce the freq but let the Vcore the same. First I set the freq to 4.0, couldn't run Prime for longer as 20min. Then I reduced the freq to 3.8 and set the Vcore to 1.45v, but still the same issue. Prime doesn't run longer than 2 hours without errors. Then I started to oc from beginning/stock. But couldn't find any Vcore setting for stable (Prime) oc. Got always (no matter after what time) errors like rounding error (got x, expected y..). Yesterday I just set the settings on stock (except my memory, it's on XMP profile) and let the ASUS Auto Tuning software to oc my rig (Extreme). So now I have 3.847Ghz @1.4v Vcore. The software increased only fsb. When I run prime, it takes 4-5 hours for first (rounding) error. (I also played some games while prime was on, but I don't think it's a trouble.)

My question now is, are there any oc which "survive" the Prime test without errors? (longer than 4hrs) Because when I oced before, I only waited one hour for for Prime and when I didn't get any errors, I increased the multiplier or decreased the Vcore. When I got an error within the one hour. I increased the Vcore. So at last when I found a stable Vcore & clock (it was 4118Ghz) I just added 2x0.00625v (increase the Vcore by two times) in order to run FAH properly. (Vcore was @1.5125v)

Now I don't know if it's necessary to let the prime run so long in order to know that I won't get blue screens or freezing while FAH.

Any Ideas why that happened?

Best regards,

FA

P.S.: Now I have the following settings: Clock: 3847Mhz (213*18); Vcore: 1.4v; CPU/NB Vcore: 1.3v; rest: Auto
I also run FAH now and we'll see how long the rig can fold.
15 REPLIES 15

Fallen-Angel
Level 7
That what I asked in my first post. I thought if the system is stable enough, Prime should run day for day without problems. I mean it's on stock. So explain me how it works. When I oc my rig and stress test it with Prime, is one hour enough?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ah mate you are asking the wrong one here. I do not value prime at all. In my view if you pass prime for ten hours or ten hundred hours all you have proved is your system can run prime. I have seen systems do 48 hours prime blend and then crash in 10mins in a game.

How I see it is like this.

Stable is if you PC can do what you want it to do and not crash, nor freeze. Simple as that.

Prime is a handy tool and I use it too. But I do not put it on a pedestal and revere it.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Ah mate you are asking the wrong one here. I do not value prime at all. In my view if you pass prime for ten hours or ten hundred hours all you have proved is your system can run prime. I have seen systems do 48 hours prime blend and then crash in 10mins in a game.

How I see it is like this.

Stable is if you PC can do what you want it to do and not crash, nor freeze. Simple as that.

Prime is a handy tool and I use it too. But I do not put it on a pedestal and revere it.

I absolutely agree with HiVizMan 100% here.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Fallen-Angel
Level 7
Yes, I know what you mean. Besides Prime I also use AIDA64 stress testing and some benchmarks from Futuremark and other like Heaven, Cinebench and Maxx(MEM/Pi etc.). I use my Rig for gaming and folding.

I've read some threads on the Internet and now I see how you see Prime. So all in all I probably misunderstood the meaning of Prime usage. ^^

Thank you guys ^^

(lvl up)

Edit: But the issue with my first stable oc was really strange. I hope I'm able to get the same clocks, mybe with a different Vcore but I hope to get it stable again ^^

HiVizMan
Level 40
Folding has to be what you use as your ultimate benchmark for stability. You guys that fold have very different kinds of stability needs when compared to others. My thoughts are get hold a a particularly testing folding work item. And see if your system hold up the that. Your failed Prime job might simply have been a power surge from your utility provider, or something quite innocuous.

And no I do not think you have misunderstood the value or usage of Prime. There are some that do, you most certainly know what is important. Folding. Bit prime for you is a tool to ensure that those things you do go smoothly. That is what any tool is all about surely?

So to recap, I think you system is stable. If there is instability it will show during your folding and then we can work at making the system folding stable.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Fallen-Angel
Level 7
OK, thank you again.