cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck on Error 99

KingGnome
Level 7
I was wondering if I could get some help here. Yesterday I installed malware bytes and rebooted my computer when it asked. After that it wouldn't post. The only other thing that i did to the computer was move some 120mm ans from the back of the hard drove cages to the front of them but the computer had been running fine for a good 6 hours prior to rebooting and I had used real temp to monitor the cpu heat to see if there was a increase or decrease in the case.
I get error code 99 when it is trying to post.
I spent a bunch of time on google and looking at my manual and google just doesn't give a general consensus of what could be wrong.
So far I have tried:
* replugging every cable in and out
*booting without the SSD
* checking the SSD on my laptop using the external 2.5 bay
*switching pcie slots for the graphics card. display still worked
*switching from the 970 to a 760 display still worked
*switching from the 760 to onboard video display still worked
*disconnecting all the plus in the PSU and reinserting them
*trying with just 1 stick of ram in the correct slot
*clearing the cmos about a dozen different times
*letting it get the best of me and calling it a night before trying again
*accepting the fact that i might need to spend some money today
*removing the cooler and cpu, clearing the thermal paste and attaching the cooler again
*tried bios flashback but the red inicater light is still there after 5 hours
*inserted the keyboard and mouse dongle into laptop to make sure keyboard was working
*replaced batteries in keyboard

I get the following screen when it loads now after clearing the cmos but it won't let me proceed by hitting del or f2 when asked.
I can only asume at this point that there is something wrong with the mobo or the cpu
Any suggestions? It was hooked into a surge protector as well, nothing tripped on that.
All help is seriously appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

Nate152
Hello KingGnome and welcome

It seems you could be experiencing a drive problem of some sort.

Try another ssd/hdd if you have one and another cable in another sata port.

KingGnome
Level 7
I tried using another cable and 2 other hard drives same thing. i had previous put my ssd in a 2.5 encoluse and tested it on my laptop and everything was good there. but have since tried using a different sata and power cord as well. No good on any of those ideas.

Nate152
All right

I see you have a total of 9 drives connected to your pc?

Let your ssd connected and start disconnecting them one at a time and try booting.

Start with the usb drive.

wow you have a lot of drives.

KingGnome
Level 7
I already tried removing all the drives besides the ssd. I still can't get past the "Please press Del or F2 to enter the UFEI BIOS setting" prompt.

Nate152
yep you've done a lot of troubleshooting which is good that will save time here for sure.

When you update your bios it should only take about 30 seconds.

I will post you this to see if this is how you updated yours.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

KingGnome
Level 7
I formated a pen drive with the fat 32 went to http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/ and downlaoded the latest bios 1603. Extracted the MAXIMUS-HERO-VI-ASUS1603.cap folder to there as well as placed that file outside the foler.

I did not rename the file as u suggested because I would not know what to rename it to. That and I do remmeber that I never had to do it that way when I updated the bios before from within the bios.

Stuck the pen drive in a usb port in the back that had a highlighted white box which is located right below the highlighted BIOS flashback button.

held thta down till it started flashing blue
waited for the red sensor to go off in the middle of the mobo indicating that it was finished as stated in the manual

The red light never went off.

Nate152
Ok

You would rename the file to M6H.Cap

Did it stop flashing on the back of the board and if so how long did it take?

thanks for the help by the way

KingGnome
Level 7
I'll have to try that tomorrow.
Before I didn't pay attention to the blue light.

the manual at
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VI-HERO/E8459_Maximus_VI_Hero.pdf
says there is a specific red led that will shut off when it's done with the flashback bios on page 1-35