Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan
Case Accessory: NZXT Hue LED Controller

Last night, I put it all together, and it started up with no problems. I was able to install 8.1 on my SSD, and got it running. Did a few updates, and it restarted to complete them no problem. I installed my GPU and liquid cooling drivers and then shut it down and packed it up. I had put it together at a friend's who lived about 5 mins away. I slid the case with everything in it back into the box with the styrofoam, and carefully packed it into my car for the short drive. I get home, start it up, and windows is taking longer than normal to start, especially considering it was installed on the SSD. I then get a blue screen that only stays up for a second, not even long enough to read it, and it restarts into "preparing automatic repair" which then goes to a black screen and stays that way. I checked all of my connections, and nothing was loosened or damaged from the short drive. I've tried reinstalling windows 8.1 but the installer freezes at 'starting setup'. I tried booting into safe-mode but the computer cuts power to the keyboard right after the BIOS finishes loading and therefore I can't get the shortcut to work. I also tried installing windows 7, but it gets stuck at the same part as the windows 8. Any ideas about what I can do or what may be wrong? The board shows no error as the code is A0.
24 REPLIES 24

Puffnstuff
Level 10
Anything being displayed on the qled is the code so pay attention to it. A0 is the start of setup and A2 is ide detect so look at the tables in your manual to see the codes.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

Caddac
Level 7
I checked all of the cables. I re-searted my gpu when I got home. A2 is only displayed when in the BIOS screens, as soon as I leave the BIOS and start loading up windows or trying to reinstall, its at A0 and stays at A0.

jab383
Level 13
Some things to try:

Q-Code A0 is the final code and will stay on the display when Windows is running. It also shows when BIOS has trouble finding any boot disk.
The difference is that one or more of the red LEDs near the 24-pin power connector will be lit if there is a failure. For a suspected disk failure, check SSD/HDD mounting (be sure they haven't come loose), power and signal connections at both ends - drive, PSU and motherboard.

Clear CMOS using the button on the back panel. That will clear any garbage that got into the BIOS settings. Try booting.

If that works, then returns to the same problem after power is shut off, it might be that the CMOS battery is loose or out of its socket. That's something than can happen in transit. The difficulty is that the battery is under the ROG armor and the entire PC has to be disassembled.

Jeff

I'll make sure I take a look at that, thanks. I was also wondering if me installing Corsair Link has been causing the crashes? I've read about a lot of compatibility issues with Corsair Link and 8.1 and it was one of the things I had installed before transporting my computer over. Could this have been an issue? I don't think it would cause the kinds of crashes I've been having though.

Caddac
Level 7
I figured out what happened. My old hard drive that I swapped over from my old tower had been partially corrupt. After installing the new drivers so said hard drive, the next startup caused windows to crash. removing it didn't fix it because windows was still looking there for the drivers, and windows is ****y like that. I reformatted and partitioned it so now she's running smooth. Thanks for the help guys.

Nate152
All right, good to hear and an easy fix too.

Good job sorting it out Caddac.

Thank you 🙂 Now to get everything updated before proceeding to OC my CPU and GPU. Don't know if I'm going to OC my RAM yet.

Nate152
All right !

You are quite the enthusiast I see. 🙂 If you need help overclocking, just start a thread in the overclocking section.

List your specs and your cpu cooler there too.

Norcus
Level 8
All the symptoms described can also come from faulty RAM. Run Memtest86 from a USB stick and let it run overnight - this really should be the first thing you do when you build a PC. Faulty RAM is very common. If there is a single error, get new RAM and return the old.

Norcus wrote:
All the symptoms described can also come from faulty RAM. Run Memtest86 from a USB stick and let it run overnight - this really should be the first thing you do when you build a PC. Faulty RAM is very common. If there is a single error, get new RAM and return the old.

Funny the RAM is only faulty if you use an NVidia driver newer than V344.91, otherwise the system functions perfectly fine. Sounds a bit suspect to me.