cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Bios Problems, bclk clock.....

MKEEN
Level 9
Hi all, hope someone can help me with this as I have tryed just about everything I know.....

System Specs:

P8z77-m pro
i7 3770k
Samsung Evo 250 ssd
2x4gb 1333mhz
550w XFX PSU
Bios : 1508 (shipped bios)
Testing with wPrime, IBT, Prime95

TPU = off
EPU = off

Anyway I did have an i5 2130, so when i got my 3770k I updated the bios to 1908, everything was fine, overclocking etc, then I updated to the latest version 2105, everything seemed fine..... then I went to set my stable overclock.... it was unstable.... reset it to default etc, tested it at default and it was unstable, then I notice in cpu-z the bus speed was 99.98 not 100.0 even tho I set it in the bios to 100.0, so I flashed back to bios 1508, reset using cmos, the multiplier was missing!!!!, so I flashed the original bios from the asus site (think it was 0801) then updated it back to 1508 and it returned, but the bus speed wont go back to 100.0 (so when I change the multiplier just say to x39 in windows its 3898 not 3900) and the system is still unstable, it will only stabilize at default settings if I set the cpu to 110%.

And i noticed when testing the bclk jumps from 99.98 to 100.1 every now n again, and in real temp the bclk says 3900- 100.3 but keeps jumping to 104.0?

I have tested different bios' , tested the ram, different hard-drive, updating the ME but this thing wont get stable.

So whats the deal? I had this thing running at 4.5ghz before the bios started tripping out, And I have tested this cpu on my borthers computer and it hits 4.5ghz no problem what so ever....

I'm thinking corrupt bios chip or something?
19 REPLIES 19

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, MKEEN.

When you upgrade to another BIOS, you'll have to redo your overclock. The same settings on one BIOS version doesn't always work on another version. The change you are seeing for the BCLK is quite normal. If it really bothers you can use 100.1.

Chino wrote:
Welcome to the ROG forums, MKEEN.

When you upgrade to another BIOS, you'll have to redo your overclock. The same settings on one BIOS version doesn't always work on another version. The change you are seeing for the BCLK is quite normal. If it really bothers you can use 100.1.

Thanks for the reply.

I know this as I allways reset the bios before updating it and reapply the overclock after, what I'm saying is its not stable even at default setting, it never used to say 99.98 bus speed in cpu-z before, it was allways 100.0, its only after updating the bios I have had problems, the 99.98 clock to me indicates a problem, as with the missing multiplier (even tho its back now), something has changed.

I updated to the original bios that it was shipped with yet it still doesn't go back to 100.0, and like i said it unstable on default settings, it wont pass 2 passes of IBT without me changing the cpu setting 110%, now that is not right, something is defo wrong here

Flash Back and ez flash. I tried both

Chino
Level 15
Flash to the newest BIOS then. Load the optimized defaults in the BIOS, save and shutdown. Clear your CMOS. Enter BIOS and load the optimized defaults once again, save and enter Windows. That should have your system running at default. No need to touch anything. Run IBT as you wish. See if you pass.

On a sidenote, what is the exact name of this "cpu setting 110%" that you've been changing.

yeah I tried that this afternoon and it didn't pass, also I noticed then the onboad igpu would not turn off with bios 2105.

it the CPU Current Capability, default 100%, I had to put it 110% just to pass the IBT with default bios settings.

MKEEN
Level 9
I'm think about buying a new bios chip now just to see if that sorts it, do asus sell them pre-programed? or would i have to go to a 3rd party?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Go third party, the guy on ebay from Holland is pretty good and ships very quickly.

Out of interest where are you based? And how long ago did you buy your board.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Go third party, the guy on ebay from Holland is pretty good and ships very quickly.

Out of interest where are you based? And how long ago did you buy your board.

Thanks for the reply

I'm UK, its 10 months old, had this problem for about a 3 weeks, I've tried everything I can think of/google, but a few thing im not comfortable with doing lol, TBH asus is begining to get my back up, I've had 2 graphics cards go wrong after a year.... now this.... ffs lol

Edit: I ordered a new bios from ebay. fingers crossed! 🙂