cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Startup and general stability issue

Halsoy
Level 7
Hi.

So starting last night I got some issues. First I got a CPU fan error (one of the two fans on the Noctua NH-D14 died) so the PC shut itself off. Which is fine, I guess. But after that I started getting some real issues. Take note that the CPU never overheated, the PC just shut itself off since the fan registered with an error. I know cause I keep a temperature reader on a second monitor and I glanse over there every now and then, and it was at 51 degrees C when it shut off (AMD 965BE).

Crosshair V Formula Z Motherboard
AMD 965BE CPU
Kingston HyperX RAM (4x2GB@1600MHZ)
AMD (HIS) 5870GPU
Kingston HyperX 128GB SSD
Chieftec Super Series 750W PSU (80+ rated)

Now, since then I've tried chaning the ram to a set of XMS3's from Corsair, as well as changing the GPU to an old GT220 from nVidia. Nearly every time I boot I get a different error. They generally are Q-CODES 61, 5E, and AA.

Let me explain a bit in detail first. So, last night after the CPU fan gave out, I booted up again and everything was fine. For a while. I replaced the fan with a corsair one, as I was in the middle of a gaming session with some friends. I then continied playing some War Thunder and LoL with the PC staying on 20 min the first time, 30 the second and nearly 2.5 hours the third time. After that I let it stay over night cause obviosuly something wasn't right.

Today comes and I start by chaning the RAM. Then it fails to POST. I hit the GO-button and it posts fine. Now it froze in the BIOS. I reboot. I get to the W7 loading screen, and it freezes. I chec the error LED's. GPU blinks. So I swap the GPU, and same problem. First it doesn't POST, GO-button, freeze in BIOS. Reboot, freeze on W7 loading screen.

Every now and the the NVRAM status-LED also blinks.

So at this point I've swapped everything but the CPU (and potentially the PSU). I had a similar issue when I got this board two weeks ago, but I found that to be DOA RAM DIMS from Crucial, and they were returned. Since then I've been running this flawlessly. Untill now. And now I'm at a loss for what could be wrong. I've taken everything out to check for makrs and smell for burns to see if anything is obviously broken, but nothing. And since I can't even get it in windows anymore even though I could play for literally hours last night, I'm a bit confused.

I should say that since the third and final time it froze on me last night I didn't change anything before powering it back on today, so it was the same parts that failed to POST after spending a day without power.

I can also note that everything is running at stock speeds, no OC.

Anyone know where I should start?
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
The first place I would start is make sure that each of the PSU connectors on the board and correctly seated.

Then I would run memtest86+ on the dimms.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
The first place I would start is make sure that each of the PSU connectors on the board and correctly seated.

Then I would run memtest86+ on the dimms.

Hi.

I've checked all my connections, and now I'm stuck at failing to POST with the Q-Code "C5" popping up every time I try to POST. No other LED's are lighting at this time. If I hit the GO-button it takes me to Q-Code "5E" or "SE", witht he "LEDVGA" LED blinking. It does this even when there's a GPU I know for a fact is working plugged in (as it's one taken out of a working system just to test on this rig). Hell, the one that was in here is still working on the very same second rig.

So now I can't even POST. Can one of the PCI-E slots be damaged? Let me add, I've tried using different PCI-E slots as well, same result.

OK... I just found something very disconcerting... The 4-pin 12V connector to my CPU used to be white, it's now black... So obviously something has shorted here. Now I'm worried... I have a spare PSU that I know works, but I'm afraid I'll short that one as well if the short is in the CPU/motherboard. Anyone know what's most likely? If it's the PSU that has failed and all I would need to do is to swap that, then I'm golden. If everything is fried however... I'm a sad panda...

HiVizMan
Level 40
RMA your board
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
RMA your board

It appears I will have to. I will contact them tomorrow. Thanks for the help anyway 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
No problem mate sorry we could not provide a fix.