cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stabilizing AMD 9590 Processor with ASUS Crosshair Formula Z?

1Advanced
Level 7
Hello everyone, I joined this forum to ask this question, because I did quite a bit of researching and have yet to find a solid fix for running AMD 9590 stable on the ASUS Crosshair board.

I have to say I am not a pro at overclocking and honestly don't have too much experience in it as I don't game, but I do have been in IT industry for long time and build many custom computers as well.

I tried various different settings but the system seems to either freeze or get a blue screen.

So far I tried doing things like disabling Core C6 state, turning off ECC and turbo. I tried to keep HPC both enabled and disabled. I'm not sure but I think it started freezing less after this, but it still restarts sometimes, for example if I run the Windows 7 Performance assessment.

I also tried disabling the fan control and keeping it on auto but I don't think it is a cooling issue the temperatures don't seem to raise too high.

Anyways this is sort of ridiculous, not sure why a motherboard/CPU would have so many issues out of factory without any overclocking.

I'd appreciate any help stabilizing this system. I'm mostly fine leaving it on factory clock but could also overclock, but just want to mainly use this computer without problems.

The RAM is: 16GB (4x 4gb) R9 AMD Radeon. Cooler is: Corsair H100i GTX Extreme. Used Artic Silver 5 thermal paste. Corsair 860 Watt AX860. Not that it should matter but a XFX Radeon R9 290 video card.
11 REPLIES 11

Korth
Level 14
You already say "not sure why a motherboard/CPU would have so many issues" and "I don't think it is a cooling issue the temperatures don't seem to raise too high" ...

So why do you think changing/upgrading your cooling is going to produce a stable overclock?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
You already say "not sure why a motherboard/CPU would have so many issues" and "I don't think it is a cooling issue the temperatures don't seem to raise too high" ...

So why do you think changing/upgrading your cooling is going to produce a stable overclock?

I'm still standing by those words, but I didn't say such change would help run stable at higher clock speeds, just the system is running very noisy, and after searching through forums and reviews Noctua seems to be better if not best 120mm fans but for pair it is closer to $50, if spend that much money it may make sense to invest in better cooler perhaps as well to maybe have ability later to overclock more once I figure out how to make the system run at higher clock speeds without crashing or freezing.

Someone posted some screenshots of the settings they use, perhaps I could try those, even though it doesn't include the BIOS settings such as turbo etc so not sure if he left those on or not etc. Just haven't had much time to mess with it more. He also has different RAM but don't expect that to make difference.

I appreciate any suggestions or ideas, but have yet to find a solid answer for the cause of instability in this CPU setup.