cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD RAID 0 "breaks" when I update the BIOS - RIVE

sirisy
Level 7
I'm having an annoying problem when upgrading the BIOS of my rampage iv extreme. I have two Intel 520 SSDs in RAID 0. Every time I update the bios, the RAID is "broken" and I have to reconfigure the RAID and consequently reinstall Windows and all other programs.
Does anyone know a way to update the BIOS without RAID 0 happen this fall? had several motherboards, with RAID and never wore this problem. Now with all RIVE BIOS update happens. For information, every time I updated the BIOS using the Asus EZ Flash within the BIOS installed on the motherboard.

Thanks for the help and sorry my English.
Core i7-3930K \ 16Gb de RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz \ Asus Rampage IV Extreme \ 2x SSD - Intel 520 240gb - RAID 0 \ Seagate 500 + 1000 + 2000 \ ASUS GTX 690 \ Corsair AX1200W \ Lian-Li Tyr PC-X2000 \ Nvidia Surround - 3X Apple LED Cinema Display 27' \ Bose Companion 5 \ SteelSeries Xai Mouse & Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition \ Windows 8 Pro - 64 bits
11 REPLIES 11

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi sirisy....the BIOS defaults to AHCI so after the flash I guess you have to get into BIOS before it boots and change again to RAID. Is that what you're doing? and it's still breaking...

Maybe disconnect the RAID do the flash and then reconnect once you've changed to RAID?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hi sirisy....the BIOS defaults to AHCI so after the flash I guess you have to get into BIOS before it boots and change again to RAID. Is that what you're doing? and it's still breaking...

Maybe disconnect the RAID do the flash and then reconnect once you've changed to RAID?

Hi Arne,

RAID back "broken" even changing the BIOS after upgrading to RAID. I've tried switching to AHCI before upgrading, also failed.
Core i7-3930K \ 16Gb de RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz \ Asus Rampage IV Extreme \ 2x SSD - Intel 520 240gb - RAID 0 \ Seagate 500 + 1000 + 2000 \ ASUS GTX 690 \ Corsair AX1200W \ Lian-Li Tyr PC-X2000 \ Nvidia Surround - 3X Apple LED Cinema Display 27' \ Bose Companion 5 \ SteelSeries Xai Mouse & Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition \ Windows 8 Pro - 64 bits

DooRules
Level 10
Never had this problem at all, with many many R0 installs.
7980XE on Asus ApexVI
Zotac 2080Ti
Intel 900P
2 x Samsung 950 Pro
EVGA 1600W
Alienware 34"
Samsung 28" 4K

dctokyo2
Level 10
Never had this problem at all also

Interesting. I have always had this issue (wouldn't call it a problem) with the new bios defaulting to AHCI. My solution is always been the one described by Arne. Different strokes for different computers I guess.
NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Intel Core i7 8700K @5.1 Stable Delidded
Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
G skill TridentZ DDR4 ​4266 (PC4 34100)
Corsair HX1000i digital
EVGA 1070 GTX TiSuperclocked+
Samsung NVMe SSD 960 pro M. 2
Samsung 860 Pro
Watercooled with EK block radiator fans etc.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Annoying!....have you tried disconnecting physically when the PC is off then powering the board and doing the flash....booting into BIOS and setting raid and then powering off and reconnecting drives....though of course you shouldn't be having to do somersaults to keep your RAID..

I don't know the root cause of this just suggesting what you could try....maybe Nodens could offer some proper technical help?

HiVizMan
Level 40
When I update my BIOS I too tend to simply remove the cables and then put them back once I have completed the update and reset my SATA mode to RAID. Not had a problem yet. Touch wood.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

dklhs90
Level 7
When you do a BIOS update what you do is as follows:
1. Turn off PC
2. Update BIOS using the USB thinggy at the back
3. Remove USB
4. Power on PC
5. Enter BIOS menu
6. DO NOT let it enter windows
7. In BIOS menu set SATA to RAID
8. Save and reboot
9. Enjoy a non broken RAID 0

Source:
I have had many experiences with broken RAID 0 after BIOS update. Figures that I booted into windows without configuring the BIOS to RAID mode.

Student | Gamer

First time back in the bios after flash he should probably use F5 (defaults), then f10 to reboot and then back in bios to turn on Raid.
7980XE on Asus ApexVI
Zotac 2080Ti
Intel 900P
2 x Samsung 950 Pro
EVGA 1600W
Alienware 34"
Samsung 28" 4K