cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some questions about RIVE (not black ediition)

Orici
Level 7
I currently have:
RIVE (not black edition) with BIOS version 3404

• Should i flash BIOS to the newest version before IVB-E was introduced ? (BIOS version 4206)
  • How does this motherboard work good with Win8/8.1 ?

7 REPLIES 7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I don't think there is any point in flashing BIOS if you have no problems....and Win 8 and 8.1 work perfectly...though they are very sensitive to BSODs if you are overclocking. A few BSODs and it is best to clean install Win 8 or 8.1but if you are using PC normally fast boot etc. is great...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I don't think there is any point in flashing BIOS if you have no problems....and Win 8 and 8.1 work perfectly...though they are very sensitive to BSODs if you are overclocking. A few BSODs and it is best to clean install Win 8 or 8.1but if you are using PC normally fast boot etc. is great...

Ok. I'm currently using windows 7 but can get Windows 8.1 for free if i want.
Why do i need to reinstall windowss 8 if an overclock is not stable?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If you are setting up an OC or testing limits of an OC benchmarking you will often push into territory where a few BSODs happen...this can pretty effectively scramble Win 8 whereas Win 7 was more resistant. Performance of Win 8 can suffer a lot...so a fresh install sets you up again. As I say this is just of importance testing a new OC or after crashing a few times benchmarking....

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
If you are setting up an OC or testing limits of an OC benchmarking you will often push into territory where a few BSODs happen...this can pretty effectively scramble Win 8 whereas Win 7 was more resistant. Performance of Win 8 can suffer a lot...so a fresh install sets you up again. As I say this is just of importance testing a new OC or after crashing a few times benchmarking....

I have somemore questions:
I'm planning on installing win 8 in UEFI mode and looking at the guide http://rog.asus.com/220572013/rampage-motherboards/rampage-iv-uefi-boot-installation-guide-on-window... i get confused.

Do i need secure boot for the performance benefits of UEFI installation because i dont see how secure boot works in this guide?

Is all i need to install in UEFI mode:

Boot my USB tumbdrive in UEFI mode and just install windows?

Praz
Level 13
Hello

CSM needs to be set to disabled and boot from your USB device wit the UEFI prefix. The default setting for Secure Boot should be fine.

Praz wrote:
Hello

CSM needs to be set to disabled and boot from your USB device wit the UEFI prefix. The default setting for Secure Boot should be fine.

So:

1) Disable CSM
2) Boot USB in UEFI mode
3) Install windows 8

and i dont need to change or do anything with the secure boot settings?

Orici wrote:
and i dont need to change or do anything with the secure boot settings?

Hello

No, you should not need to change any Secure Boot settings.