cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Solved) Video Performance (FPS) Erratic/Unstable Until Reboot

dmiannay
Level 9
I recently built a new PC (see signature) and have been having video performance issues. I started out with an ASUS GTX780-DC20C-3GD5 card and game performance (FPS) was erratic. For example, when I'd reboot the PC and then go into World of Warcraft (WoW) I was seeing average FPS in the 60-80 range, which is superb. When I closed out of WoW and then went back in, the FPS averaged 20-35 and was a bit choppy. If I closed WoW and then went back in again, FPS would remain at 20-35... very poor. If I then shutdown, restarted, and reentered WoW, FPS would be back up to the 60-80 range and glass smooth. Sure enough, close out of WoW and go back in (without shutdown & restart) and FPS would drop back to 20-35. And a restart doesn't fix the issue, it needs to be a full shutdown and restart.

This phenomenon also happens in precisely the same way with a new game I am in beta test for, Wildstar. I haven't tried any other games.

I called ASUS Tech Support and we agreed to try an RMA on the GTX780 since the tech believed that was where the problem was. Since I was sending the card back for service, I decided to purchase a Radeon R9 290X and see how the "other" graphics card would work in the mean time. Sure enough, exactly the same performance issues.

I'm now suspecting the motherboard. I did remove all the RAM cards and install them one at a time to see if I had a bad RAM card, but they all worked the same. The 32 GB RAM set is matched.

Any thoughts out there on whether this is the motherboard, or whether there's some other culprit.

Thanks for your time!
Doug

Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO (WiFi)
10 REPLIES 10

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Can you just say what you mean by "matched"...is that one single 32GB kit or two 16GB kits "same" make model?

Are you overclocking CPU or GPU? Is the OS install a fresh one on the system and have you installed chipset driver etc?

Are you running Gen 3.0 PCIe and have you tried switching to Gen 2.0?

dmiannay
Level 9
Thanks for the reply, Arne.

Yes, the 32GB was bought as a single set, matched. Not two 16GB sets. No overclocking at all... default values "out of the box" at this time. OS is a fresh install of Windows 8.1 Pro. I did update to Win8.1 Pro Update 1, but the issue existed before that. I have not tried switching to Gen 2.0 PCIe. Not exactly sure how to do that.
Doug

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK so RAM should be good to go....are you running it at the XMP profile for it at 2133 or when you say default do you meen BIOS default of 1333?

The Gen 2.0 is a BIOS option that you could try but it is an outside bet...

I would suspect some driver next but if you have the same behaviour on Nvidia and AMD on totally different drivers...

I am running it now at the BIOS default of 1333 since this is a new machine and I wanted to verify stable performance before attempting to OC. I did change to Gen 2.0 and am testing the performance... back soon.

Edit After Testing Gen 2.0: The problem persists.

Your comment on the NVIDIA and AMD drivers experiencing the same performance issue does appear to rule video drivers out. Any other ideas?

And thanks again for your time.
Doug

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm well I would set the RAM up XMP and try...you never know...

Are you on latest BIOS for the RIVE? Maybe reflash the BIOS with a freshly downloaded file BIOS Flashback method.

I guess I would try another clean install of the OS with only AMD drivers....

And open GPUz and see if there is any difference you can spot when the game is running well and when it isn't after a restart...whether it's running gen 3.0 at x16 or down at 1.1 etc

Your SSD firmware up to date?

Thanks for the suggestions, Arne. I believe you stumbled on something that appears to have done the trick!

Of the things you mentioned, I tried the SSD firmware item first. Downloaded Samsung's "Magician" software and it offered an updated firmware for my 840 Pro. It also pointed out that the OS was optimized to work for a standard HDD, so I chose a high performance configuration that optimizes the OS for an SSD. Game performance is very steady now and closing and reopening both games (WoW & Wildstar) without shutdowns does not negatively affect FPS performance no matter how many times I do it.

I think the problem is solved! Thanks a ton for your suggestions and valuable time!
Doug

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Excellent! Glad that helped 🙂

Just one thing...sometimes those optimizations run the CPU at full tilt always instead of letting it downclock at idle and using speedstep as it should. They often set performance power plan in OS. Which is what I set anyway but in order to leave speedstep working you have to edit the power plan in advanced settings and set "minimum processor state" to something like 10% manually then you have the best of all worlds...

Yep, you are correct. I first had to figure out why the "Minimum Processor State" setting wasn't available to me in "Power Options" and after some research discovered that if Hyper-V is is enabled (and it is since I am a Visual Studio 2013 user), these Power Options settings are removed since Hyper-V requires 100% processor to function efficiently. I disabled Hyper-V and the Minimum Processor State" settings showed back up. I set the minimum to 10% as your suggested and I assume now that all is good.

Again, thanks for all your valuable suggestions!
Doug

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Quick tip: Windows Experience Index optimizes Windows for running on an SSD 🙂