cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] R4E + 4930k Debug 00 CPU_LED Red

ResHacker
Level 7
Update Dec 26 2013: ASUS sent me a new motherboard. It posted successfully after flashback to 4701. Big thanks for ASUS RMA dept!

Update Dec 18 2013: Motherboard is sent back to ASUS. Now the status is "Product repair is in progress."

Update Nov 21 2013: Unfortunately a new CPU did not resolve the issue. Any more suggestions? Or I should contact ASUS for RMA the motherboard now?

Hi all,

I am trying to install a 4930k to Rampage IV Extreme 4 (Initial BIOS 4102). At first boot it gives Debug 00 CPU_LED Red which is normal, since the BIOS version is too old to support IV-E.

Then I updated 4102 to 4403 using Flashback. The update was successful, since I used a FAT32 USB stick with the filename R4E.CAP, and after pressing the ROG button for about 5 seconds, the first BIOS LED starts to blink, and then faster, and then stable. The whole process is about 2-3 minutes. The strange thing is that, after the BIOS update, the Debug 00 code and CPU_LED Red still persist.

Then I enumerated all the BIOS versions 4206, 4403, 4502, 4503 in order, on the first BIOS and the second BIOS. They all give the same result of Debug 00 CPU_LED Red. I also put the CPU out and back 3 times, nothing changed.

I think at this point I will have to RMA one of the components. The question is, which one is more likely to result in the problem, CPU or the motherboard?

FYI, hre is a list of gigs I had for the build:
Case: Corsair 900D
PSU: Corsair 1200i
MB: Asus Rampage Extreme IV
CPU: Intel i7 4930k
MEM: 8 x 8GB Corsair Vegeance Pro 1866
HDD: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD + 3TB TOSHIBA 7200RPM HDD
GPU: 2 x EVGA GTX Titan
CPU Cooler: Koolance CPU-380 Liquid Cooler
GPU Cooler: 2 x Koolance VID-NXTTN Water Block

Thanks for any help!
19 REPLIES 19

Zka17
Level 16
Welcome to the ROG Forum!

Next time before BIOS flashing check first these:
1. If all connectors have been seated correctly? Remove and reseat them.
2. If the CPU has been seated correctly and the cooler was mounted correctly? Double-check the pins in the CPU socket.
3. Double-check the RAM modules to be seated correctly.

Zka17 wrote:
Welcome to the ROG Forum!

Next time before BIOS flashing check first these:
1. If all connectors have been seated correctly? Remove and reseat them.
2. If the CPU has been seated correctly and the cooler was mounted correctly? Double-check the pins in the CPU socket.
3. Double-check the RAM modules to be seated correctly.

Thanks for the reply!

1. I removed all non-necessary connectors, removed one GPU (one remaining), removed all SATA3 connectors and no luck.
2. The pins seem fine. I took a high resolution picture of the pins and compared that with those from Google image. Not even a a single pin is different. I tried to re-seat the CPU 3 times.
3. With one RAM, I enumerated it with 8 slots and nothing changed.

The flashback is successful, which gives me the impression that either the CPU is bad or the MB is bad. I am trying to figure out which one is more likely so that I can RMA it first.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well, I have seen a number of threads recently with similar stories unfortunately. On balance most of them have been defective CPUs but one was a bad board. If you have no way to get hold of a SB-E cpu or another IB-E to test ( or vice versa...test your CPU in another board ) I would RMA CPU first.

Before that though I would double check the 8pin ATX connection is good check pins in connector are in place and right length at board and at PSU. Do you have another PSU to try with?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Well, I have seen a number of threads recently with similar stories unfortunately. On balance most of them have been defective CPUs but one was a bad board. If you have no way to get hold of a SB-E cpu or another IB-E to test ( or vice versa...test your CPU in another board ) I would RMA CPU first.

Before that though I would double check the 8pin ATX connection is good check pins in connector are in place and right length at board and at PSU. Do you have another PSU to try with?

Thanks for your information! I think I will RMA the CPU first then.

Following your suggestion, just now I replaced the 8pin CPU power cable with another one (both are original Corsair) but it did not work. I do not have a second CPU/MB/PSU, though.

FireRx
Level 11
yep, RMA the CPU then, I had a bad 4930K. Replaced it and an everything is good now. I spent an extra $800 chasing that "rabbit'. Have a back up R4E board in the closet now.
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

FireRx wrote:
yep, RMA the CPU then, I had a bad 4930K. Replaced it and an everything is good now. I spent an extra $800 chasing that "rabbit'. Have a back up R4E board in the closet now.

Uh thanks for letting me know your real experience!

The good thing about RMA the CPU is that it is still in 30 days of replacement directly with Newegg. Lucky me 🙂

Zka17
Level 16
Good luck, ResHacker! Please, let us know how this is going when you receive your new CPU...

Sure will do! Just sent out the return UPS today 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please confirm that the new CPU resolved this issue? 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.