cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Solved] Extreme High Temp with 4770K

xenocide
Level 7
Hi all,

i just build a new PC and its stock through out.
Was running some tests on Prime95 before OCing but the temps kind of scare me near death.

I got average close to 100degC on all cores when i run Small FFTs on Prime95.
Can anyone advise what i can do to bring down the temps?

Below is my build specs:
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Gene
Rams: Vengeance® Pro Series — 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 1866MHz C9 Memory Kit
CPU Cooler: Closed Loop Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer (Push pull Stock fans @ 1800rpm each)
Thermal Paste: Arctic MX4
GPU: Sapphire HD6870 Flex
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb
HDD: WD Black 4TB
PSU: Corsair Professional Series HX750W
Case: Silverstone FT03

At idling, my temps are 43degC, 40, 41 ,41
Running Prime95: 100degC, 100, 98, 93
Running AIDA64: 98degC, 98, 95, 90
OCCT: 95degC, 92, 91 ,91

Room temp: 30degC (its pretty hot in singapore)

I feel like going back to air cool with Noctua D14...

Please advise. thank you
15 REPLIES 15

kkn
Level 14
what temp monitor programs are you using?

Core Temp and Real Temp

kkn
Level 14
AI suite too??
only run 1 ( ONE ) monitor program at once.
becose of wrong readings.

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, xenocide.

This is what you need to know. Haswell chips run hot. When you run stress tests that involves AVX instructions and you have adaptive voltage enabled in your BIOS, that ads 0.1V to 0.2V to your vcore. And last but not least, you might be surprised but the D14 can compete with even the closed loop liquid cooling solutions.

xenocide
Level 7
ok i ran Core temp alone and Prime95 small FFTs. Still reaching 100degC for Core #0 and #1

i know this does not equate to real usage temps even on gaming, i just want to be sure of the heat before i start OCing
i don't want to fry my chip. I've not been able to bring down idle temps below 40degC even with an added fan (Aero Cool Shark Fan 12cm Devil Red Edition) blowing directly at the cpu.
it only drops like 1 - 2degC at best a 39degC when i'm doing nothing.

Do you suggest i swop out the stock fans of the thermaltake or hit straight with Noctua D14?

xenocide
Level 7
ok. this might sound alittle embarrassing... but i've solved my issue!!!

At idling, my temps are now 38degC, 36, 35, 32
Running Prime95: 78degC, 77, 75, 72
Running AIDA64: 72degC, 70, 68, 65
OCCT: 75degC, 73, 70, 69

all because of?? the freaking thermal paste. i put in too much than a small pea drop.
so i cleaned everything up. re-apply the thermal paste. a small droplet and 2 thin lines at the center.

thanks who all who has helped. really appreciated. i got this hint from another forum.
hope this can help others OC noobie like me.

Now i'm going to stress test it for a few hours before attempting OC.

xenocide wrote:
a small droplet and 2 thin lines at the center.

Even that may be too much. It's very tempting to use too much thermal paste. But the way to check is if you remove the heatsink/waterblock after it was fitted, there should only be a very thin layer of paste on top of CPU, you should actually be able to see the CPU metal heat spreader through it (semi-transparent). There should be no paste squished beyond the boundaries of the top of the CPU over the sides. You should be able to remove all thermal paste quite easily without having to remove the CPU from its socket.

HiVizMan
Level 40
No worries mate, you are not the first who has put too much paste on and I can promise you that you will not be the last. Respect for posting back your solution.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Abula
Level 9
Usually the small and large appliactions i never understood too much, what i do is simple i put a drop on the center and place the heatsink and screw it like if im going to use it, then immidiatly i take off and see the contract and spread, if i need more to better spread i spread a little more and repeat, until i get a good spread, its a slow process but always gotten me the best, like measuing a pea o all are the same simple didnt work for me, i like to test on my own setup and decide upon those test.