cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SM951 M.2 SSD with Maximus Impact VII, ROG PCIe Combo adapter

Ammonia
Level 7
I bought a Samsung SM951 M.2 PCIe SSD today, was hoping it would work with my Maximus Impact VII using the PCIe combo adapter. But the system will not detect it, no signs of it being inserted. Also using the most recent 2601 BIOS. Anyone know if there's something I can do to make it work? Will there be added support for new SSDs soon?
400 Views
28 REPLIES 28

Praz
Level 13
Hello

You're welcome and sorry for the bad news.

manx
Level 7
I have had an email back from Asus technical support who stated the SM951 is not compatible with Asus Maximus VII motherboards 😞 mine works however I keep getting issues whereby Windows 8.1 goes into a infinite loop of Diagnostics Repair. Have installed Windows 8.1 3 times now followed guides on here for bios settings with no luck. Even tried versions of the bios that people here have said are stable without success.

Looks like this motherboard isn't what it's cracked out to be with M.2 PCIe functionality on SSDs.

I will revert back to a SATA SSD for now.

manx wrote:
I have had an email back from Asus technical support who stated the SM951 is not compatible with Asus Maximus VII motherboards 😞 mine works however I keep getting issues whereby Windows 8.1 goes into a infinite loop of Diagnostics Repair. Have installed Windows 8.1 3 times now followed guides on here for bios settings with no luck. Even tried versions of the bios that people here have said are stable without success.

Looks like this motherboard isn't what it's cracked out to be with M.2 PCIe functionality on SSDs.

I will revert back to a SATA SSD for now.


Could you possibly post the reply from asus support here? I´m in a similar situation; trying to get the sm951 to work either in the m.2 slot or with expansion card. Got it working once, but somehow i did something that messed it all up. Now my board wont accept the w8 installation usb with the sm951 ib aby slot; i get to the blue "flag" screen and the loader spinner, just spins endlessly.
I followed this guide: https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/how-to-install-windows-8.1-on-the-samsung-xp941-ss/138296 (it´s for another board i know, but i had to try), tried with both GTP and MBR versions, still the same for both methods.
Tried bios 2601 and 2702 with win8 x64, same result.

Would be happy for any info at all, really, or i´ll have to let the drive go back to the store, if it´s not working on my other asus z97i-plus-board either.

Cheers!
/M

I'm trying to get my m.2 SM951 to work... with my impact 7 I see two green light on the opposite side of the SSD.. idk if those are always there or not. I need help!!!

Sorry, but as stated before - i never got mine to work more than once and supposedly asus has said that z97 won´t support this drive. 😞 Tough love..

Good luck mate, i´m getting an Intel 750 instead.

Mindrila
Level 7
Reading this thread really makes me wonder if I should install a newer BIOS version or not, my board came with 2102 and it works nice (for now).

The only thing I had to do was to set it to UEFI instead of legacy (I think it was called) after that the Win8.1 installation had no trouble with the disk.

I think those 2 green LED are from the WLAN/Bluetooth module and are not related to the m.2 slot. There is a yellow HDD LED which will flash if it is accessed.

Mindrila wrote:
Reading this thread really makes me wonder if I should install a newer BIOS version or not, my board came with 2102 and it works nice (for now).

The only thing I had to do was to set it to UEFI instead of legacy (I think it was called) after that the Win8.1 installation had no trouble with the disk.

I think those 2 green LED are from the WLAN/Bluetooth module and are not related to the m.2 slot. There is a yellow HDD LED which will flash if it is accessed.

I can confirm the 2 green lights on the mpcie combo iv card is indeed Bluetooth and wireless.

pheuno wrote:
Im using old bios with Impact VII and SM951 is working fine, dont need newer bios for ahci. I plugged SM951 in m.2 slot and checked that gpu is set to 8x and ssd 4x then started installing windows from usb stick by pressing F8? at start to get UEFI installer or something like that.

RhysLewis
Level 7
I can confirm SM951 256GB works fine with Impact VII , you may need latest bios , but mine worked fine .

You must follow these instructions thou .. and DO what it says .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No-ct8pQcIg

RhysLewis wrote:
I can confirm SM951 256GB works fine with Impact VII , you may need latest bios , but mine worked fine .


I can also confirm SM951 works with my M7I as boot drive for Win 7 Pro. Be sure to check out RamCity's instructions for proper setup. A properly configured UEFI Bootable ISO image on your USB drive is the key to success for the install.

https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/how-to-install-windows-8.1-on-the-samsung-xp941-ss/138296#comment-16...