cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SM951 M.2 SSD with Maximus Impact VII, ROG PCIe Combo adapter

Ammonia
Level 7
I bought a Samsung SM951 M.2 PCIe SSD today, was hoping it would work with my Maximus Impact VII using the PCIe combo adapter. But the system will not detect it, no signs of it being inserted. Also using the most recent 2601 BIOS. Anyone know if there's something I can do to make it work? Will there be added support for new SSDs soon?
28 REPLIES 28

jedi1 wrote:
The Samsung SM951 works on board Impact VII !!48289

Why is it only going to 1700mb/s sequential read speed?

Wrong,
1700 Mb / s read .....

Stizuner
Level 7
I just ordered my SM951, I've read that the drive gets pretty warm are you guys doing anything special to combat the heat? Are you experiencing any throttling?

Ammonia
Level 7
I've now had my motherboard serviced, and the mPCIe Combo connector has been fixed. But this did NOT resolve my issue, it just changed the problem. When I try to boot with the SM951 PCIe SSD connected, my PC go into an infinite reboot loop. I turn it on, the screen remains black and the PC is running for maybe 5 seconds, and it reboots. And again, and again.

The last Q-Code displayed is "15" (15-18 = Pre Memory System Agent Initialization). Neither does the M.2 PCIe LED (green one) light up when the PC is on, it only flashes briefly at boot.

Is the SSD faulty?

Extro
Level 7
Hello Ammonia,

do you have any update regarding the issue with the m.2 drive?

Cause it seems to me that I'm facing something similar.
I tried 2 different m.2 drives Samsung SM951 and Kingston Hyper X 240GB. Both PCIe based m.2 drives.

The Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are working properly (Tested under Windows). Also the insertion of the drive is recognized by the board -> GPU goes to PCIe 3.0 x8 from x16. But I do not see the m.2 drive in the BIOS or elswhere.

manx
Level 7
My board recognises the Samsung SM951, I am using latest bios machine installed fine then suddenly it goes into an infinite booting loop saying diagnosing system eventually it fails resulting in a full re-install of Windows 8.1.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

The Samsung 951 is an OEM drive. Because of this needed drivers are not available to the retail market. Also the drive is sold to the end user with no warranty nor support from Samsung. So any boot type issues because of the lack of drivers falls to the motherboard manufacturer to work out. If boot issues are being experienced contact online support for your region through ASUS.com.

mikefreeman
Level 7
I've just bought two Maximus VII Impact mobos and one Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB M.2 which will not show up in the bios of either mobo. I've searched Google and Youtube for any hints but to no avail. Should it show up as a bootable device by default? Is there any way to test if the mobos are faulty? I don't have any other M.2 compatible mobos so I can't test the M.2 drive. I'm also in Panama so returning items is often more costly than the item and very slow. Any pointers gratefully accepted. I have a high level of expertise but I'm out of date and this is my first M.2 experience.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

The M.2 slot on the M7I supports the PCIe interface only. The 850 EVO M.2 drive is SATA interface and will not work with the Impact. You can also find this info in the included user manual for the motherboard.

Ah! The limitations of what you don't know, you don't know. I did so much research and yet I missed that very basic distinction. Bad news but so glad to be in the know now. I'll be in the UK next month, so I can sell it on ebay. Thank you Praz.