cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up RAID array on Ports 5+6 Crosshair V Formula-Z

hax0rmort
Level 11
Hi ladies and gents,

I'd like to document the steps needed to create an array on ports 5+6 so if anyone else stumbles along, they can see how it's done. I'm new to this, and have only setup an array once before tinkering around.

Here is what I have and what I want. I have two 1GB HDDs that I'd like in the best array type that will provide for redundancy. So I'm assuming this is RAID1? I store all my backups here for home pictures, video, important documents from the military and finances as well as music collection. I do not want to reinstall windows 8.1 as I won't be storing the OS on the disks. I know AMD has the RAIDXPeRT software I intended to install, is there anything else to be thinking of besides going into BIOS and setting up PORT 5+6 for RAID and making sure my two 1GB drives are empty and connected to those ports?

I'd like to streamline the process before I start because I don't want to hit any snafus and I'd like to know what I'm doing before I start. Can someone be so kind to read over and let me know what else I should be thinking of or if I'm good to start?

Thanks in advance 🙂
-hax0rmort

MOBO - ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU - AMD FX-9370
RAM - AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400 MHz
SSD1 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Boot
SSD2 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Game
GPU1 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
GPU2 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
COOLER - Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler
PSU - Corsair RM Series 1000W Gold PSU
AUDIO - Creative Sound Blaster Z
CASE - NZXT H440 Red/Black
KEYBOARD - Corsair K95 RGB
MOUSE - SteelSeries Sensei
HEADSET - Logitech G430
24 REPLIES 24

HiVizMan
Level 40
OP please tell me in simple sentences what it is you are trying to achieve with what hardware. It may just be that there is a simple solution to what you are attempting if we knew what work you are wanting to do.

I did a guide some time back about RAID for storage and single disk OS on the CHV boards. Just need to find where the heck I published it.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
OP please tell me in simple sentences what it is you are trying to achieve with what hardware. It may just be that there is a simple solution to what you are attempting if we knew what work you are wanting to do.

I did a guide some time back about RAID for storage and single disk OS on the CHV boards. Just need to find where the heck I published it.

Here we go:

My hardware:
-------------------------
1x Hitachi 1TB HDD
1x WD 1TB HDD
1x 240GB Samsung 840 EVO
1x 120GB OCZ Agility 3
1x 128GB Samsung 830
1x ASUS ODD
1x Plextor ODD (on Asmedia port)
-------------------------

I know the potential issues RAIDing two unlike disks but I want to go ahead and RAID 1 the two 1TB HDDs. That being said, I need to keep available the rest of the slots to function as AHCI or AHCI compatible so they work with the independent disks. They only thing I want in an array are the two 1TB HDDs.

Here's what I tried so far. I tried turning on RAID on ports 1-6 and then I got BSOD while trying to boot into windows. I learned on the forum here that I cannot switch an AHCI installation of windows to a RAID install. So I gathered the RAID drivers for OS Install and reinstalled Windows with RAID enabled on all SATA ports 1-6. The problem that I ran into is that when the independent disks are running in AHCI mode or AHCI compatible, they are recognized as SCSI devices. This is causing a big problem for me when trying to run programs like Samsung Magician which can greatly enhance my SSD speed. It will not detect the Samsung SSDs while they are connected by (SCSI) like it says it is in Device Manager.

Is there any way to not have them show up and connect as SCSI devices while in RAID mode? It's causing a lot of software/hardware conflicts. So apparently the devices that are connected independently and not in a RAID array aren't connected in AHCI compatible or AHCI mode because if so, they would have been found by Samsung Magician, right?

Someone please help guide me. Is what I'm trying to do feasible or is it just not worth it. My overall goal in RAID1 the HDDs is redundancy for important documents/files in which I have about 600GB of. I'm just trying to make my life easier by not having to make TWO backups when I only need to make the one if it were in RAID1 mode.

Sorry for the long read 😕
-hax0rmort

CPU - AMD FX-9370
HEADSET - Logitech G430

HiVizMan
Level 40
Right thank you.

Here is what you should do to ensure that you have a perfect set up. The downside is that you are going to have to start all over again. If that is fine then lets go.

First thing first is make a back up of your important files and data. Do this to a cloud or to DVD or a portable storage device.

Clearly label your RAID devices. Do not fit them to the SATA port as yet.

To do your initial installation of OS you only want your OS drive fitted.

Set SATA mode to RAID.

F10 to save and enter.

Have your USB OS install media connected. Use Microsoft USB tool to create your USB os disk.

In the advance part of the OS install procedure delete the entire SSD partition and let the OS do it all from there on.

Once your OS has installed and you have installed any drivers you may need power down and fit your two RAID disks.

Now enter the RAID set up utility and create your storage RAID.

Once complete continue to OS.

Now you can simple add hard drives to the SATA ports as needed. You will have your OS on the SSD and storage on a RAID array.

Now reset your bios to defaut.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

hax0rmort
Level 11
awesome HiVizMan, thank you for taking the time to do this for me/us. Couple questions where I am confused. You state:

-Now enter the RAID setup utility.... (where do I find this) nothing came up automatically when I set to RAID mode before. Is that the one I need to download inside of windows from AMD? RaidXpert? Cause if not, I've never seen one.... how do I access this?

also...

-Now reset your bios to default? So after I do all this I reset my BIOS to optimized defaults? Won't this put it back to AHCI mode? I'm a little confused, please clarify please 🙂

Thanks!
-hax0rmort

CPU - AMD FX-9370
HEADSET - Logitech G430

HiVizMan
Level 40
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?13866-Asus-Crosshair-V-Raid-quot-0-quot-HowTo

This will help you get started.

Second question. Reset Bios to default. F5 and Enter while in bios.

Once in defaults then you go to SATA and set RAID mode 🙂