cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Crosshair Formula Z and FX8350. Is there anything special to do?

CG-88
Level 7
Hi All,

So I have had an FX8350 for about 4 months now and loving it, and I recently bought the above mentioned motherboard. Crosshair Formula Z.

My question is, is there anything I need to do in the Bios to get maximum efficiency from the CPU and RAM? I have seen a few threads about setting up ram timings etc but if I am planning on keeping everything on standard clocks for the time being do I need to do anything else?

Only thing I have done I setup custom fan profiles.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

elesde
Level 10
You can always try to lower VCore on stock frequencies or overclock at stock voltages to get more efficiency 😄

To get that RAM running at its specified speed of 2400MHz you need to overclock the CPU/NB to 2400MHz as well, that might need a bit more voltage. Pretty sure you have to set the timings/speed/voltage of the RAM manually too.
On the other hand you can run the RAM at 2200MHz same as CPU/NB on stock and try to lower the RAM timings a bit.

elesde wrote:
You can always try to lower VCore on stock frequencies or overclock at stock voltages to get more efficiency 😄

To get that RAM running at its specified speed of 2400MHz you need to overclock the CPU/NB to 2400MHz as well, that might need a bit more voltage. Pretty sure you have to set the timings/speed/voltage of the RAM manually too.
On the other hand you can run the RAM at 2200MHz same as CPU/NB on stock and try to lower the RAM timings a bit.

Cool, thanks. For the time being I am aiming to keep everything stock so I underclocked my ram to the highest the board can support non oc. So 1600mhz.

I am getting a few extra bits if hardware over the next two weeks so when I'm all done building in going to overclock a bit. When I got the board I did the cpu level up to the level 2 just to see what it would react like under prime95 and the temps stayed bang on 40, I have never managed to get it above 40 lol