cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

saberX79 Overclocking journey

esreuter
Level 7
Hi all on ROG forums.

I am Erik and have come to learn about overclocking.
I have been studying for a few weeks many forums, tech data and profiles.
I have decided that it is best to set my own rather than grab a set profile, as I read over and over again that each cpu is different.
I have performed my first over clock on a 3930k, its really small but great for learning in depth. 4.0g with stepping enabled.
I did once just put in a multiplier of 43 and hit go with everything on auto and everything was fine but i dont count that as a overclock.
doing a successful and fully manual overclock has lead me to more questions, like any learning process should.

to start here is the system I built:
3930k C2.
Sabertooth x79 board
64gigs ripjaws z 1600mhz
gtx680 dcII top
coolermaster silent pro 1200watt 80+ gold

So my first over clock is 4.0g at 1.168vcore and for me its stable enough. i ran 8 hours on occt linpak with 90% memory usage and no crashes. I know many people say to stress for minimum 12 hours however, i believe in the fact that I will never push my system that hard so in all honesty the 30min test at each voltage adjustment was enough for me. Plus I am a editor so I just used my system like I built it for, render effects, videos, photos and no problems.

Now thru research I have learned the dangers of the C2 3930k and their sensitivity to vtt and vccsa voltage, the danger zone being 1.2v. Also i learned about the delta, I nick named it the holy delta, between vccsa, vtt, vcore and vdimm.
with the deltas all being .3~.4v of each other, except the vdimm being .6v from the vccsa.
i did my best to maintain this delta. with my offset vcore at -.1105 I set my vccsa to .868v and my ram to 1.468v.
My first question arises in the Vtt delta, I am afraid to set it to be the proper delta from vccsa, it would have to be 1.168v to keep the .3 delta, if its supposed to be a positive value, however I am under volting and the vtt is at 1.05 the lowest it can be set at. this is a difference of .182 are there dangers of having the vccsa and vtt this close?

second i really, really want my vccsa voltage to scale with cpu frequency, as I understand it the vccsa does have a set of vid instructions, but my saber board does not report the vccsa vtt and those voltages to hardware monitors in the os.
but for you experienced saber users and you asus tech folks, if the vccsa scales every time with the cpu load, then a person would be able to set the delta while in bios looking at the bios current voltages. does anyone know if the vcore and vccsa scale together? or does vccsa scale separately on memory heavy loads?
i hope i am making sense there, for example if the cpu clocks up 1x and takes xvcore at the same time the vccsa steps up 1x and takes xvolts. by that being tru i assume, that you could set a delta at any time be it at load, or idle because the offset would always be preserved as the vcore and vccsa move up and down in sync. make sense? i really want to take advantage of the c stepping to really lower the thermals.
sorry so many words, i understand it in my head but finding the right way express my question clearly is alluding me.

next question is, hardware monitors! is there any one out there that will display all my voltages? i have hwmonitor, hwinfo, cpuz and the ai suite 2. all of them seem to report vcore, vin0 which i believe is my graphics card and my 12 5 and 3volts.
only occt shows vin0,1, 4,6, and i cant identify them. so please help!

final thought is back to the deltas. it seems near impossible to maintain all of them, as the ram voltage is fixed and my vtt is a fixed voltage as well. with vcore and vccsa on offset the delta would be ever changing. is there a particular danger to this?
I am in that situation right now to be exact, vcore is on offset and vccsa is manually locked at .868 this only preserves the vcore delta at load voltages and always maintains the ram voltage. am i in danger like this?

off the top of my head and zero research am i in danger of current (i) values? I am not sure if my electrical engineering is up to snuff but i believe as voltage drops current (i) increases. am I way off on that? if I am right do i need to worry about pushing my systems voltages as low as I can go?

soo many questions, but like i said, for me i seek to understand my system and the overclocking process rather than just plug in values and get the highest clock.

thanks for reading all this and for your knowledge.:cool:

ESR 😉
0 REPLIES 0