cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sabertooth R2.0 and EK-DCP4.0 pump

mirzet1976
Level 7
Hi, I have the EK-DCP 4.0 pump and so far the pump was connected to the PSU and it was noisy, today I was hooked up to one of the fan connectors (CHA_FAN3) and now the pump is quieter, but I'm interested if it will harm the pump or the motherboard. The motherboard is Sabertooth R2.0.
When the pump is plug it into the CPU_FAN or CPU_OPT bios shows 2000 rpm (this is the EK-DCP4.0 without PWM new serie is EK-DCP4.0 PWM) and can not be reduced, and when is plug it into the CHA_FAN3 then shows 1560 rpm and then is silent.

EK-DCP 4.0
Technical specifications:
- Rated voltage: 12V DC
- Power consumption: 18W
- Maximum pressure head: 4.0m
- Maximum flow: 800L/h
- Maximum system temperature: 60°C
- MTBF: 50.000 hrs at 25°C
- Power connector: 3-Pin FAN connector
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
6 REPLIES 6

elesde
Level 10
18W does sound a bit much for the CHA fan connectors, have you got any additional fans plugged into these slots?

Safer bet would be to go with some sort of extra power converter for pumps/fans with a higher rated wattage.
Running it off 7V is also a bit tricky, the official starting voltage is 8V unfortunately.
Can you adjust the pump speed with chassis fan speed slider?

mirzet1976
Level 7
From 6 Fan connectors I fill 2, CHA_Fan1and2.
By connecting to 7V shuts down PSU after a few seconds. Bios has a CPU Fan Profile : Standard-Silent-Turbo-Manual.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

elesde
Level 10
Yep guess these modern PSUs don't like loads between the +12V and +5V wire 😕

Without knowing the official maximum supported power on the chassis fan connectors it is impossible to be sure whether it is safe or not, maybe someone from ASUS can answer that.

You should be able to control the pump RPM via the chassis fan control setting. The CHA_FAN connectors adjust the fan speed via voltage changes and not via PWM signal as the CPU connectors do (as seen in the diagram).

mirzet1976
Level 7
OK here's the answer from Asus

Dear Valued Customer,
The water pump you have has about 18W of power consumption where as CPU Fan socket can provide max 12W and other fan sockets less than 10W, connecting your pump directly to the MB will cause voltage instability due to excess power drain. I may result in damage to the motherboard, CPU, RAM and/or periphals connected to the motherboard.
Attention! Please do not erease previous correspondence. Seeing full letter history helps to better diagnose the issue. Please provide an answer to Tech Support's questions at the TOP of the correspondence with adequate spacing between your answer and previous dialog so that it is clear and easy to read.
Please visit our Troubleshooting & FAQs for ASUS products in ASUS website:
http://support.asus.com/servicehome.aspx?SLanguage=en

Dziekujemy!/Thank you!
Z poważaniem / Best Regards,
Pawel Mantykiewicz
ASUS Technical Support

So I should get a fan controller with at least 20W
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

elesde
Level 10
Ah thats a bummer but thanks for letting us know.

When you get the controller make sure you set the pump RPM with enough safety margin to prevent it from randomly stopping / refusing to start. Happened to me couple of times with the Laing DDC...

elesde wrote:
Ah thats a bummer but thanks for letting us know.

When you get the controller make sure you set the pump RPM with enough safety margin to prevent it from randomly stopping / refusing to start. Happened to me couple of times with the Laing DDC...

O.K.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]