cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ryzen 3700x OC on B350-F

Deodedros
Level 7
Yesterday my friend and I went to a local computer store and he bought a ryzen 3700x to upgrade from his 1600 and we're wondering how to OC it in the bios. I did update the bios to the most recent version 5220 but despite that can't OC. Should I revert to an older version like 5008 or 5204?
17 REPLIES 17

Nero666 wrote:
So I made a reply to this thread and the server went and borked itself? 😛

Anyway to sum up what I was on about...

That board is not meant to overclock 8 cores. If you must you can see if BIOS lets you disable some cores and then you can try to OC your faster cores. What I would do if I was you is consider a new CPU cooler if you are using the stock one and make sure XMP (DOCP) is enabled so your RAM runs at rated speed. If you want to experiment on getting better performance still I would look into overclicking the DIMMs/tighten timings and look into overclocking the Infinity Fabric.

Of course an AIO would be better and we will go down that route soon, as for XMP(DOCP) I'm pretty sure it is enabled but again will have to check. Thanks for the input.

OC on this board is fine, i'm running a 3600 on a B350-f and have it running stable 4.2 under water cooling just up your target frequencies then add a little voltage for stability and all will be fine.

plenty of OC tutorials on youtube. check out Actual Hardcore Overclocking, Jayztwocents or Gamers Nexus for details

Retired
Not applicable
yes, i am running a 2700x on x470 TUF (4+2) without any problems what so ever, cool and reliable (undervolated but not manually overclocked), and it has about the same power delivery as your motherboard
But as i wrote, many users is pushing and pushing OC in stress test programs for hours, and the truth is that the VRM get very hot under these conditions with a weaker VRM setup and powerful CPU
But play around, gaming and demanding video editing wont overheat your motherboard as long as you use common sense and reasonable voltage settings
I would still recommend running your CPU with undervolting @stock clocks, Ryzen perform very good with "under voltage", in fact stock voltage is too high
And to be honest, Ryzen stock already perform very good out of the box, and i cant really see the benefit to OC it for daily use other than for bragging rights in synthetic benchmarks
Good luck

Rockford wrote:
yes, i am running a 2700x on x470 TUF (4+2) without any problems what so ever, cool and reliable (undervolated but not manually overclocked), and it has about the same power delivery as your motherboard
But as i wrote, many users is pushing and pushing OC in stress test programs for hours, and the truth is that the VRM get very hot under these conditions with a weaker VRM setup and powerful CPU
But play around, gaming and demanding video editing wont overheat your motherboard as long as you use common sense
I would still recommend running your CPU with undervolting @stock clocks, Ryzen perform very good with "under voltage", in fact stock voltage is too high
And to be honest, Ryzen stock already perform very good out of the box, and i cant really see the benefit to OC it for daily use other than for bragging rights in synthetic benchmarks
Good luck

Doesn't overclocking help increase performance, especially with programs that are cpu intensive like streaming and editing?

Retired
Not applicable
Deodedros wrote:
Doesn't overclocking help increase performance, especially with programs that are cpu intensive like streaming and editing?

Yes, you will also get faster to the supermarket driving the car at 230kmh instead of 200 kmh

Happy new year BTW

Retired
Not applicable
Your cpu boosts 4400mhz out of the box, and with under voltage your system will run cooler (some cores will boost up to 4400mhz for shorter duration)
With the CPU at stock clocks and under voltage the average voltage/power consumption of the CPU will be fairly low (the processor adapt the voltage individually after workload and frequency)

If you now overclock your CPU to a fixed multiplier x44 the voltages is going to behave differently, under workload the processor will boost cores to fixed 4400mhz with a major increase in voltage consumption as workload hit the processor, with a much higher average voltage as result
some cores is stubborn and need more voltage, it means that you have to set the voltage to push those cores to get all 8 stable

Yes the CPU will have increased performance with all cores clocked to 4400mhz compared to stock 4400mhz in synthetic benchmarks, and tasks such as video editing (long duration multicore load)

Believe me its not needed to overclock all cores on your cpu, not all apps and software will take use of x8 core overclock

And with your motherboard i think you should consider running at stock, it just isn't suitable for overclocking 8 core to the wall

PS: I am not English native, sorry for the hiccups and non precise terms

Retired
Not applicable
i rest my case now

With a AIO you CPU temp will be even lower with larger headroom for overclocking?

The limiting factor is the power phase design on your motherboard not the CPU temperature

Do as you wish its your hardware, some has to learn the hard way i guess

Retired
Not applicable
i have to admit that i have to bite the dust here
i ran my X470 TUF (4+2)/2700x overclocked today @ 8x4250mhz without any issues (with wraith prism)
but i still think its a stupid idea to run Prime95 and other stress tests for hours with these low tier motherboards in combination with a overclocked 8 core processors (onboard components will get very toasty)
everyday tasks and normal computer use = no problem
however i rolled back to my old OC profile now again (i am old and like the sea calm)
ps: i had to test because this made my curious, also nice cinebench R15 score 1960 with the OC
summary: Its working, just don't overdo it

Hmm jaystwocents and gamer nexus? aren't those two total morons?