cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RTC problem on Max VI Extreme

SpoonerUK
Level 7
Hi all,

I recently rebuilt my PC with one of the above motherboards. However, I have a slight issue with the RTC. Whenever I switch off the machine, the next time I restart, the clock is at the time and day of shutdown.

This has to be an RTC problem right? I don't think that its the battery, otherwise the BIOS settings would not retain, and I suspect that the crystal is sharked.

I'm using BIOS version 711 (the latest one from the downloads page)

Any ideas, or is this going to be an RMA job? This will be first motherboard RMA or return. 😞

Cheers
Spoon.
Rampage V Extreme || i7 5960x (127.5x28) || EKWB Cooling for CPU & GPUs || 8x4GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 2800 || 3x 3gb Asus GTX780 || 4x Samsung 840 250GB || Pioneer BDRW || ROG Xonar Phoebus || Corsair AX1500i PSU || Aquaero 5 XT || Lamptron 6 Channel Fan Controller || Razer Blackwidow Ultimate || Logitech G500s || Mountainmods.com - Ascension MASSIVE Chassis || 21x Coolermaster 120mm Fans
8 REPLIES 8

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello

You could try to replace the CMOS battery.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

...and the CMOS battery is buried beneath a water cooled triple SLI bridge. I'd have to drain the loop, and pull the cards out to get to the damn thing. Blast, I wish I'd noticed this before I put the water blocks on. 😞
Rampage V Extreme || i7 5960x (127.5x28) || EKWB Cooling for CPU & GPUs || 8x4GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 2800 || 3x 3gb Asus GTX780 || 4x Samsung 840 250GB || Pioneer BDRW || ROG Xonar Phoebus || Corsair AX1500i PSU || Aquaero 5 XT || Lamptron 6 Channel Fan Controller || Razer Blackwidow Ultimate || Logitech G500s || Mountainmods.com - Ascension MASSIVE Chassis || 21x Coolermaster 120mm Fans

SpoonerUK
Level 7
Thanks for the suggestion, but I dont think that the battery is the issue. If I enter the BIOS screen, under the MAIN section, on every other motherboard I have owned (Asus or otherwise) - You can visually see the seconds ticking away. On this board, the seconds are frozen. It's like I have a time freezing motherboard. If only it froze the entire Space / Time continuum. I could lay in everyday instead of going to work. 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
If it is not the battery then I suspect you are going to have to RMA the board, that will mean breaking down your system.

Tell me have you done any bios flash recently?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Shamino
the bios settings are saved on the nvram of the spi flash part , nothing to do with batt. is there a way we can exchange mobo with u?
cos weve been trying very hard to replicate this

SpoonerUK
Level 7
Ok, so when I bought the board a couple of weeks ago, I flashed to the newest BIOS that was posted on the Support/Downloads page for this board. In fact I bought this board on the 10th July from a local component shop here in Geneva, Switzerland. This past weekend I rebuilt it after adding the water blocks to my 780 GPUs.

Right now, I have rebooted into "BIOS Flashback" mode, and the system is very slowly doing an iROG update. I was hoping that the flashback, might restore the original BIOS to see if the clock starts working.

How are you wanting to do an Exchange? If the clock comes back after the flashback, then what? Is it my board at fault, or is it the BIOS update? Happy to swap it, but I will need a few days to get the loop drained and machine stripped down.

Send me an email to my registered address if you need to liaise further.

Cheers
Spoon

HiVizMan
Level 40
spooner mate Shamino is the the man at ASUS for bios and R&D what you have reported is sufficiently odd that he has taken a personal interest. You know me mate from a while back when you had other stuff going on and I tell it like it is.

If your board is all good after the bios update and the irog update then so be it. But if not shoot shamino a pm with your contact details. I personally vouch for him.

SpoonerUK
Level 7
Cheers VizMan, I've been exchanging emails already this morning. I'll get my box stripped down over the coming few nights ready.

Just to add that the "Boot from BIOS2" that I did last night (not a flashback) - gave me a 4 hour wait while the iROG was updated. After the reboot, it tried to run through the iROG update again, so I powered off and back on, back into the BIOS and the RTC seemed to be working with the seconds counting up. Something is fishy though, because now my ROG Panel doesn't display anything of any worth, the CPU temp shows 0.0 C, and there is nothing showing for bus speed or multiplier...