cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG boot logo hiccups

Retired
Not applicable
Hi there.
I've tried searching numerous other forums I frequently visit (toms/anand/overclockers etc) but none of them had this particular incident. So i decided to check if ROG had a forum and they did. So i thought what better place to ask this question.

Lately I've noticed my ROG logo seems to hiccup. I've bought this board 2 years ago and back then the ROG logo would just popup and windows would boot up.
Now, the logo lags as if something was holding it back. The eyes seem to be drawn on screen far slower than before. Then the text "press TAB for POST message " etc appears.

I've recently overclocked my system and thought this might be the culprit, but returning everything to factory defaults did not help this problem.

Here are my specs:
Asus Maximus II Formula
Intel Q600 @ 3.2Ghz
Corsair 800Mhz DDR2
MSI HD4850
OCZ Vertex 2 120Gb
WD 500Gb storage drive
Corsair 750W PSU
Antec 1200 case

Do you guys know what could cause this laggy onscreen logo?

Thanks,
Rod
9 REPLIES 9

xeromist
I would do two things: check that you have the latest BIOS installed (this is for your overclocking as a newer BIOS can sometimes allow you to clock higher or more stable). Disable the logo so you can see what is going on while it is up. I'm not sure where it is in the menus for your particular board though.

When you say that you returned it to factory defaults is that with the reset option in the BIOS, using the clear CMOS jumper, or manually changing the settings back yourself?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
I returned the factory defaults via the BIOS setting (Load factory default settings). Should I try clearing the CMOS? (via the Reset CMOS button @ the back of the mobo).

Just now I disabled the Full Screen Logo and just the normal POST messages appeared. It showed my DDR2 speeds, my CPU speed, amount of USB devices attached etc.
I haven't updated the BIOS since I got the board 2 years ago. The latest BIOS is from july 2010 I believe, but when I tried to flash it via Asus EZ Flash 2, the tool could not recognize my USB flashdrive on which the new BIOS was stored. Thats pretty much why I canceled the BIOS update.

xeromist
I would definitely recommend an update if you can try a different flash drive. Perhaps it is too large a capacity? Also, in order for the board to recognize the drive and be able to load the BIOS image it has to be plugged in *before* you boot. You may already have known that but I made that mistake and didn't understand why it wasn't recognized when I plugged it in just before I went into the flash utility.

Since the update would wipe anything going on right now anyway it's not really worth troubleshooting the hiccup. If you don't want to update then yes I would try hard resetting as well.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Ok, I think I'm gonna try updating the BIOS. I did a hard reset according to the motherboard manual (turn off pc/ unplug pwoer cord/ pushdown clrCMOS button/ turn on pc), but this did not help alleviate the hiccup :(.
Hmm good point, the flash drive is 2Gb. Im gonna try 'n find a smaller one.

xeromist
I would think that 2GB as a size would be fine. I think the only thresholds that I've heard of issues with were like 4GB, and then like 32 or 64 GB drives. That said, I would still try to find another drive and get updated. It will probably make your overclocking endeavors more successful and it might fix the other issue while you're at it.

xeromist
I just thought of something else. I remember seeing that the flash drive has to be formatted with FAT32. If for any reason your drive is formatted with something else it will not be recognized.

Retired
Not applicable
Xer0,

Haha I don't know how to thank you :D.
The flashdrive was indeed FAT32, but my front USB hubs were kinda whacky so I inserted the drive on the back of the mobo. System recognized the drive and upgraded the BIOS within a minute.
This improved (as far as i know) two things:
-My Hiccup in the logo is gone, just a smooth flawless animation
-Somehow my CPU temps have dropped considerably. The stock speeds gave me 27-30 degrees celcius (38/38/30/30 cores) as temperatures. Now CPU temp is down to 19 degrees whilst the cores are less hot aswell (-5-7 degrees)

Thank you so much for your help. Is there anyway to rep u?

xeromist
There is a little star at the bottom of every post if you want to rep the author. Just glad to help though. 🙂

A decrease in temps is always a cause for celebration but I would also make sure that you use a couple of different utilities to check your temps as you begin to overclock again. Sometimes readings can just be off and it's rather annoying when you have an unstable overclock but your temps are still reported as within reasonable limits, trust me! RealTemp is a good companion to the stock software.

Good luck and let us know how your overclocking goes.

Retired
Not applicable
Rep'd!.
I've been running p95 now for close to 11 hours (Blend test).
OC'd to 9x355 = 3.2Ghz. Still stable now.
Gonna let it test for a few more hours .
The voltages are pretty much set to their minimum (looked them up in the mobo manual and keyed them in directly). The only voltage I had to edit was the vcore, which now sits @ 1.25625v.
Temperatures are pretty decent. Highest recorded core temperatures are 59 (CoreTemp and Everest) so that's well beneath the 70 degree mark.
Me happy, possibly going to try and get to 3.4Ghz.