cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVE TO MSI M8 Experience

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Just wanted to share my experience going from a $500 RIVE board to one that cost only around $200, 1st off i didn't have any problem with the RIVE until mine died but going over to this MSI board it has really change my view on it, What i don't understand is how asus can make things so complicated to use like how you set up the bios so TRIM works for RAID, When on this MSI board it just had 1 options which you just picked which ROM you wanted, Also when doing a reinstall of Windows 8 the MSI board took almost half the time the RIVE did to install and when selecting fast boot in the MSI bios it was actually fast 3 seconds at the most unlike the RIVE option which didn't do any think, Any ways this was just my two cents and felt like sharing.
22 REPLIES 22

Baalberith_NL
Level 10
Maybe better post this in a MSI users forum?
AMD 5900X
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
64GB G. Skill 3600Mhz C16
Cooler Master Master Liquid PL360 Flux
Be Quiet Dark Power 12 Pro 1500Watt
2 x Samsung 980Pro 1TB
1 x 10TB WD Black
1 x Asus Strix RTX 3080Ti OC
CoolerMaster C700M
Samsung G7 Odyssey 32inch

Baalberith_NL wrote:
Maybe better post this in a MSI users forum?

Why its not to do with the MSI board it to do with RIVE not living up to its name.

Krighton
Level 7
Not everyone knows what they're doing I guess. Enjoy 8th best...

Menthol
Level 14
Glad to here your happy with your new board LiveorDie
Boards are designed for different purposes, I imagine the board you got there is designed for simplicity and not ultimate tweaking and ASUS also has boards for that purpose

Menthol wrote:
Glad to here your happy with your new board LiveorDie
Boards are designed for different purposes, I imagine the board you got there is designed for simplicity and not ultimate tweaking and ASUS also has boards for that purpose

Yer you are right but you do see normal pc's users buying ultimate tweaking motherboards all the time this is what asus doesn't think about the RIVE was made for extreme overclocking, The RIVE to a normal user that runs there CPU at whats stable on water cooling is wasting there money because any board can overclock In between those lines, It pretty much like a 80 year old man buying a BMX bike yes he can ride it but he'll never use it for the purpose it was made for.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Actually, Intel is forcing a change on that. If you haven't heard, Intel have been forcing Mfrs to end the OCing ability on Motherboards that are not from the Z87 range...and they will get their way, with either BIOS updates, or updates with code shoved in them thanks to Micro$haft.

Praz
Level 13
This is comparing apples to oranges. MSI's equivalent of the RIVE is close to $400.00. So not much difference in price compared to the RIVE. You could have also bought an ASUS motherboard for close to the price paid for the MSI. So this has nothing to do with who manufactured the boards but rather the price point you spent at.

Praz wrote:
This is comparing apples to oranges. MSI's equivalent of the RIVE is close to $400.00. So not much difference in price compared to the RIVE. You could have also bought an ASUS motherboard for close to the price paid for the MSI. So this has nothing to do with who manufactured the boards but rather the price point you spent at.

I understand that it was just a bit of a shock i actually only paid $160 for this board vs $550 for my RIVE, I petty much set my same OC settings on both boards both run the same i brought the RIVE to get a good OC out of my CPU but as i live in Australia i can only push so far in summer :P, But both boards work the same for what i use them for Gaming/Modeling/Programing

@ Myk SilentShadow intel is only disabling limited multiplier control for non-K CPUs its just another way to sell Chips that fall under the right QC.

Retired
Not applicable
''''' Some thoughts of mine***

Browse hwbot, if it wouldent live up to its name, why its most common X79 board in there, i think its the user that dont live up to the board, not the other way around..

Yes, other brands may be more easy to OC for an inexperienced user up to a certain lever (even if you are inexperienced and seriously interested its a great board regardless), but are you looking for that fast solution i think you are going to be disappointed.

Crazy OC, R4E will take you there.. to tweak the untweakable

R4E is a board with a huge amount of manual possibilities, to force the chip up there..

But i agree with you, for the mainstream overclocker, there are other X79 boards out there, that are more easy to work with than the R4E

i think some get the Rampage, and soon find out that it wasnt as easy as they thought..

But when you have lost all you hair, the R4E is a great tool, and you have most likely learned just about everything there is about overclocking.. no shortcuts...............

R4E is a journey, not a safe ride!!

PS: Trim and RAID, is it good?