cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVE stability issues in Ubuntu 11.10?

bravegag
Level 7
Hello,

I have been using my new system on the Windows 7 Prof 64b side no problems even under heavy-ish load e.g. I ran Passmark BurnInTest and it was all good.

However, I have continuous freezes of my Linux Ubuntu 11.10 installation (kernel 3.0.0-22-generic). The freezes happen when there is heavy load but not always. The heavy load comes from the benchmarking program, an iterative combinatorial optimization C++ algorithm that I am implementing which puts under heavy load every bit of cache, memory and CPU. I am using Intel Math Kernel Library 10.3, Intel compiler icc 12.x, OpenMP, etc.

I must say that I am not sure where the freezes come from exactly. I suspect could be the RIVE on Linux which might not have been tested thoroughly? or maybe the new MKL release libraries with the relatively new AVX feature. My C++ application does not have any memory errors and it works perfectly on a Mac Book Pro (Intel 2 Core Duo based) dual booting with Linux with the exact same software setup of Linux, MKL, etc.

Should the freezes come from the RIVE is there any drivers support for Linux? The other possibility might be the memory ... I would need to run memtest but I doubt it since all my stress testing on Windows 7 was successful.

Many TIA,
Best regards,
Giovanni
ASUS Pro WS X299 SAGE II
Intel i9-10980xe 18C
Corsair h150i ELITE LCD
Corsair Dominator CMT128GX4M4D3600C18 128GB 4x32GB
ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 O24G
Adaptec RAID 8805 (2x SSD RAID0 - Windows 11 Pro, 2x SSD RAID0 - Ubuntu, 4x Seagate IronWolf RAID10)
Corsair AX1600i PSU
Corsair Obsidian 750D
4 REPLIES 4

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I know zero about ubuntu but in my travels through the web read of heat issues running it......Could this be temperature related....throttling of CPU......related to this? http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/linux-power-regression-overheating-problem-on-thinkpad-fixed

Hi Arne,

Thank you for your reply, always helpful.

Actually seems a lot simpler issue 😞 I switched to Normal OC in the BIOS meaning no overclocking and it doesn't freeze anymore.

I had the CPU at 4.25Ghz so my modest OC did not seem to work for Linux 😞 would this be a result of low CPU Voltage? I configured this minimum OC in Windows using the ASUS AI Suite II. Maybe have to read how to manual OC better ...

Best regards,
Giovanni
ASUS Pro WS X299 SAGE II
Intel i9-10980xe 18C
Corsair h150i ELITE LCD
Corsair Dominator CMT128GX4M4D3600C18 128GB 4x32GB
ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 O24G
Adaptec RAID 8805 (2x SSD RAID0 - Windows 11 Pro, 2x SSD RAID0 - Ubuntu, 4x Seagate IronWolf RAID10)
Corsair AX1600i PSU
Corsair Obsidian 750D

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmmm usually voltage problems mean you get BSODs with 0x101 codes etc. kind of all or nothing....but all my experience is with windows.:o

HiVizMan
Level 40
There is no difference in how an overclock will behave in uBuntu. Your system would have been unstable in any OS I am guessing.

There are a number of really good guides that you can find sticky on the Rampage section of this forum. Start reading about what the different setting in the BIOS do and simply enjoy the process of getting to know your board and learning how to overclock at the same time.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.