cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVE RAID Question

Peanuts
Level 7
So recently I dismantled my system - which entailed removing the 3930K and other components.

I was running a RAID 1 configuration in Win7 Pro x64

I made careful note of all my connections for reassembly and I didn't change any hardware so same setup exactly as before see my sig for info.

On startup however the system booted into BIOS but I exited without changing anything in the config. I guess I expected once Windows booted that everything would be configured exactly as before. However, while everything booted fine I have lost my RAID config and am unsure of the exact steps to take to recover my old setup. 😮

Of course I now realise - having checked the BIOS - the harddrives are configured only for ACHI not RAID. I was reluctant to simply reset to RAID without checking here first. Of course my system would have expected to see RAID on boot but I got no warnings or errors.

If some kind person would be so kind as to guide me through recovery I would be grateful.
My thinking is that if I switch the BIOS to RAID then I will get the RAID config utility launch and force a windows reinstall which is what I was trying to avoid.

Any help and advice will be richly welcomed! 😄
Thanks
Peanuts

PS just in case I wasn't clear this message was written on the RIVE in W7 Pro x64, so the system is ruining but not in RAID. Also for info I'm running IRST enterprise edition
MB: Asus RAMPAGE IV EXTREME Rev1.02 | BIOS: 3404
CPU: Intel CPU Core i7 3930K (C2) Sandybridge-E Unlocked
Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro
RAM: 4x8 Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR3 1866 Quad
PSU: Corsair HX 1050W Pro Gold
GFX: x2 EVGA 4GB GeForce GTX 670 SC
SSD: x2 Samsung 256GB 830 SSD RAID 1
HDD: x2 WD SATA III 1TB Caviar Red WD10EFRX
Mon: Dell Ultrasharp 30" LCD IPS U3011 + 2x Samsung 2443
CASE: Lian Li ARMORSUIT PC-P80B Black
KB+M: Mad Catz V5 | Mad Catz R.A.T.7 Black
8 REPLIES 8

BOLTS4BREKFAST
Level 12
If you change from AHCI to RAI in BIOS now... It shouldn't delete the array.. Just set it to RSTE, reboot, go back into BIOS and make sure the array is there now.
NZXT Phantom 820
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
NZXT HALE90v2 1200w PSU
Intel i7 3960X OC'd @ 4.7Ghz
Corsair H100i (Push/Pull)
MSI GAMING 4G GTX 980
16GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz
2 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD's (RAID-0)
2 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD's (RAID-0)
SoundBlaster Z PCIe Sound Card
Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound
Sennheiser PC360 Headset
LG Blu-Ray Burner
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

BOLTS4BREKFAST wrote:
If you change from AHCI to RAI in BIOS now... It shouldn't delete the array.. Just set it to RSTE, reboot, go back into BIOS and make sure the array is there now.
Just rereading your answer Bolts I wasn't sure what you meant by just set it to RSTE. I have IRSTE running within windows but trying to launch (open) the app in Win7 fails to launch with "an unknown error occurred while running the app....etc"?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Basically you simply need to set RAID as sata mode.

I am not going to say that you will 100% get your raid back simply because you did boot to OS, is that right.

Lets see how it goes ok.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks for the speedy response guys - greatly appreciated! 😉

HiVizM - I see your point of course 😛 wont the array simply rebuild with IRST if the OS has an issue with it? Let me know what ya think? 😉

Peanuts
Level 7
OK so I set SATA to RAID - it starts promising - it does see the array fine on Boot and then Windows starts loading.... however, it blue screens with an error too fast for me to see and then on restart it offers to repair. BUT I quit at this point and restart resetting to ACHI to get back into Windows. I'm still hoping that there is some way to recover this? 😛

nleksan
Level 10
On the bright side, it's RAID1, so regardless you still have your data.

It may actually be easiest, and most painless, to simply rebuild the array off one of the existing mirrors (assuming that it's 100% KNOWN GOOD)

Thanks Buddy for the reply appreciated 😉 - I think HiVizMan was probably right in the end. Once I'd booted into Windows I just couldn't get it to work. Thankfully I backed up all my important data as a precaution. I'll remember in future to reset to RAID before first booting. I think if I had it would have just worked or at the very least just asked for IRST drivers which I had ready... and then booted.

I have now reinstalled W7 and going through the laborious process of reinstalling all my Apps but on the bonus side its allowed me to ditch all the junk I've accumalted over the past year 😛

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello mate, yes once you boot into windows your raid is pretty much gone, you can rebuild it or recover the data using third party software.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.