cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVE powers up then powers off.

broken_pixel
Level 7
Just my luck my board dies the same day I get 2 290x GPUs. The computer ran fine all day benched for an hr tested my GPUs. I go to boot to test out some BF4 and my mobo powers on and then powers off after a second. This is my second board that has died and the Asus rmas are very painfull from my experiemce. Last time I was sent 2 bad boards during my first rma. Finally they decide to send a new in box just to die 4 months later. I tried 2 power supplys, I tested my existing power supply on my miming rig and it booted. The CPU is fresh , about 3.5 months old. I am debating on the Black edition and selling my rma replacment but I am thinking about jumping the asus ship. 😕 I will miss you offset voltages.
R4BE BIOS 0701 3930K @ 4.7GHz +0.005 XSPC Raystorm H20 block 16GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 2133MHz 9-11-10-27-1N SuperNOVA 1600 G2 XFX 290x XFX 290x 2x CL4100 240GB Intel RAID 0 Revo3 240GB XFI Win10 Enterprise TM HOTAS Warthog Slaw device BF-109 pedals TrackIR 5X270OC @ 2560x1440 @ 100Hz

11 REPLIES 11

broken_pixel
Level 7
What info are you wanting? My system specs are in my signarure and yes I use fans to cool the MOSFETs etc. I also monitor all the reported temps using AIDA64. The current cpu I have only needs 1.328v for 4.7GHz stable using OS voltages. The VTT, VCCSA are set at 1.110v. using 2133MHz memory speeds. So heat is not an issue and I thought these where suposed to be enthusist boards built for overclocking? Its not two boards dead like that. The first on almost caught fire at idle speeds, the second went in peace without smoke. I love how you keep insinuating user error when both systems where in perfect running condition and out of nowear they decide to go bad. Its fine if you close this thread and I bitch about asus customer suport because I have a right to speak out from such a horrid experiece and I am among the thousands of people who feel the same way.
R4BE BIOS 0701 3930K @ 4.7GHz +0.005 XSPC Raystorm H20 block 16GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 2133MHz 9-11-10-27-1N SuperNOVA 1600 G2 XFX 290x XFX 290x 2x CL4100 240GB Intel RAID 0 Revo3 240GB XFI Win10 Enterprise TM HOTAS Warthog Slaw device BF-109 pedals TrackIR 5X270OC @ 2560x1440 @ 100Hz

Raja
Level 13
Now that you've given me the info (finally) I have an idea of how the system is run. That's all I asked for, but instead was greeted with hostility. The forum is not a one way street - you post something about a board failing and I will ask questions.

Where did the first board catch fire (location on board)?

Second board gets to code 14 - have you checked the CPU yet?

You said USB BIOS flashback was not working - I stated about FAT32 drives and you elected not to respond to that as well. These things are not in your sig, so don't mind me asking for them please. I think you can understand that people need to get an accurate picture rather than patchy info and rambling to help yes?

The first board catching fire at idle could just have been component breakdown. The boards are built for overclocking - but there are stipulations on how they are run long-term in order for components not to breakdown. A FET can die at any time (with light load) if there has been long-term junction breakdown. It does not have to be at 100% load when it dies in such scenarios. AT 1.32V the CPU can pull up to 200W_ at 4.7 GHz, if case ambient is sufficiently high and VRM temps are high (which AIDA or whatever monitor does not show as there are no probes on the board to report the temps to software), the FETs will slowly breakdown. You can see how having 20+ years experience doesn't neccessairly make us an expert in everything - I've found the people that throw that kind of statement around are often the hardest to help as they make too many assumptions.

The fact you second board is getting to partial initialization, hints that at least CPU power good coming up (it would halt at 00 otherwise) - so its the IMC/DRAM side that it's halting on. Therefore I wouldn't rule any of the associated components out of the mix. Of course, you haven't stated that you've debugged all that, so I'm going to ask you. That's what we do when we're not given all the info - stating one has 20 years experience is obviously easier than taking the time to post all pertinent info..