cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVE Memory Problems

larainzlo07
Level 7
I have a Rampage IV Extreme and 2 Kits of F3-2400C10Q-16GTX. I have the latest revision of BIOS for the RIVE. With windows 8.1 installed I am getting blue screens that are continuously changing. With windows freshly installed the system will run for 10 minutes to an hour without a blue screen. Once it blue screens I can no longer get into windows.

I ran memtest with the modules at 1333Mhz and had errors on the RIVE. I then set the XMP profile to 2400 and ran memtest again and had errors. I took my system apart and put the modules on a Gigabyte X79-UP4 mobo and ran one kit at 1333Mhz and had zero errors after 3 passes. I am currently testing the other kit at 1333Mhz as well. If that kit passes I will test both kits all together at 1333Mhz.

I have also read over the memory guide and tried that out and still had blue screen errors.

Later today I also plan on checking the cpu and pins to make sure everything is okay. I also found that I may need to try installing the 4 pin EZ Plug 2

Any other things you can suggest I try out to get the memory to work and for windows 8.1 to stop blue screening?

Hardware Info:
RIVE
2 kits of F3-2400C10Q-16GTX
3 780TI Classifieds
2 840 Pro 256Gb Raid 0
4 REPLIES 4

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey larainzlo07 🙂

As I guess you know the problems are probably from trying to run two kits...not recommended and particularly so with X79...

Your best bet of running them together is setting up entirely manually not using XMP

Also the later BIOS are IB-Ecentric and treat RAM differently to earlier BIOS maybe go back to a late 3xxx BIOS or before 4206 at least...?

I'm seeing that now. When I got home from work the second kit had passed 4 passes in memtest. I then put all modules in and it failed. I will just have to go to one kit of 16gb which is enough. I am waiting on some parts to come in so I can bypass the memory waterblocks so I can run memtest back on the rive. Will update when I can.

larainzlo07
Level 7
I have gotten everything up and running. I had to fall back to using just one 16 gb kit. Thanks for the help

HiVizMan
Level 40
The reason for this is deceptively simple and very difficult to resolve.

No two kits of memory are the same. There are a number of reasons for this, batches of memory chips that are used may be different the actual chips from the same batch will perform differently. Vendors program a set of instructions that will ensure the single kit of memory will function at the rated specification.

Now two kits with the same part number may have two different sets of instructions, the PC bios reads one set of instructions and applies that to the entire memory collective. End result is most often not happy memory.

Now you can sit and try and set up each stick of memory individually, that will work. But it is very very time intensive.

Much better to get a matched kit and be done with it.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.