cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVE I can access BIOS with Debug code 34

serorannis
Level 7
So I've just finished building my computer (Rampage IV Extreme, i7 3930k, 32gb GSkill Sniper 1600 9-9-9-24 1.5V RAM, 1000w
Seasonic Platinum PSU, Custom Water Cooling Loop). I (of course) did an out of the box test boot before installing everything into the chasis with watercooling components installed, and had no problems, was able to access BIOS etc. Now that everythings in the case, when I boot up I get 34 on the debug LED, but I can still get into BIOS and change settings etc. The system speaker beeps once and is followed by long beep, then several short (it BEEEEPP BEEEEPPP BEEP BEEP BEEP) which is odd as it does not match any other pattern I know. Strangely, every once in a while, it won't boot at all. The debug LED will be at 00, and the CPU LED will be red. However, either rebooting or clearing the CMOS seems to fix the problem, and then I will be back able to access the BIOS and with debug code 34.

I am confused, as most everything I've read about debug code 34 states that BIOS is not accessible. I don't want to jump into installing windows as of yet because I'm worried that there may be a problem with my CPU. I have not (as of yet) taken the CPU out and inspected the pins or reseated it into the socket since it did POST before I put it into the chasis. Could it possibly have shifted or been crushed by the installation of the waterblock? I did not crank of the thumbscrews too hard, I can still easily tighten them without a lot of pressure. I'm just perplexed by the fact I can get into BIOS and everything seems ok in that respect.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey serorannis 🙂

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that code 34 is simply what the debug LEDs show when you stop off in BIOS.....anytime you boot and press delete to go to BIOS or as you are doing starting up with no boot disk the code is 34.

The bad news...code 00 and the CPU led might actually be a problem.....make sure you have mounted the CPU and CPU block very carefully....tightening a half a turn on opposite diagonals in rotation all the way down. If you can still tighten them then it sounds like the block is not in place yet. The beep code is "hardware failure" which sounds dramatic but might be loose connection etc.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Your ram is that one kit? Or two kits that you have combined.

Please try this.

One stick of ram in the furtherest slot from the CPU, either side but just one stick.

Power up and you will get to bios with ease.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

serorannis
Level 7
The RAM is all a quad channel kit (although its being detected and run at 1333 rather than 1600 for some reason). I'll try remounting and inspecting the CPU today to see if there are any bent pins etc. Hopefully it will sort itself out.

Thankyou for the replies and the advice on the debug code 34!

HiVizMan
Level 40
That is correct it is being picked up at defaults. Enable the XMP profile and it should be fine.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

serorannis
Level 7
Well I removed the CPU and inspected it (no easy feat with all the watercooling in the way 😛 ) and inspected the socket as well. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I cleaned the CPU, and reinstalled it, put the waterblock back on (with thermal compound) and crossed my fingers and booted up. Everything worked fine! I got worried at first as the BIOS froze after a minute, but after clearing CMOS and rebooting, everything worked fine. Got that single POST beep, and got the "no boot drive detected" message if I didn't press delete in time. I was able to go in the set the XMP profile for my RAM and everything else seems to be functioning too.

What a relief! Thanks for the help and advice! It's kind of hard not the freak out when you've invested a lot of time and love (and well... money) into a project and it doesn't quite work in the end. Will proceed with installing windows next. Thanks again! The community here is great.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hehe know exactly how you feel!.... nice one.....that's more like it....get your OS installed and you'll be up and running.:D

HiVizMan
Level 40
All good buddy at least your system is up and running as it should