cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVE Hardrive Issue RAID 0 SSD

lazymon
Level 7
Hi everyone, I have had this issue for about a year and decided to look for help.

Basically when I am transferring files to my WD30EZRX 3TB hardrive I get huge speeds then it declines to 1MB/s. Is this normal?

My setup:
2x RAID 0: OCZ Vertex 450 Series VTX450-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
1x WD30EZRX

SSD are connected to Intel SATA 6, and the WD drive is on the SATA 3 port.
7 REPLIES 7

lazymon
Level 7
• Motherboard model: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. RAMPAGE IV EXTREME Rev 1.xx
• UEFI Version: American Megatrends Inc. 4901 05/14/2014
• CPU: 3.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3930K
• Memory kit part number (s) and amount in GB:
CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) 1866 (PC3 14900)
CMD16GX3M4A1866C9
• PSU: Rosewill Hercules-1600
• USB Devices (model/version number): Mouse: Cooler Master Xornet, Keyboard: Cooler Master TKL Novatouch, iPhone
• Monitor: ASUS VG248
• CPU Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII S524
• PC CASE: Cooler Master HAF
• Operating system: Microsoft Activated yes/no? Windows 10/ Yes
• Drivers Installed (include version): NVIDIA 355.60 GPU driver
• Any third Party temp/voltage software installed: I bumped RAM from 1.5v to 1.55v
• System Overclocked (provide details)?: XMP settings for RAM with 1.55 voltage

lazymon
Level 7
I seemed to have helped it some by replacing the SATA cable. I suppose I should go to Western Digital to get some answers.

Here is a graph showing what I mean, there are bursts of speed but many valleys where I am getting 6-9MB/s. Before the new cable is was getting stuck at 1MB/s.

File transfers to NTFS are cached. This creates the illusion of high-speed as the information is actually written to RAM (waiting/cached to be written to the hard drive at a slower speed limited by the hard drive). It is very possible that the slowdown occurs when the PC's capacity is fully used and the apparent speed drops to the actual hard drive write rate.
That might be the situation in your case, even though the chart does show very dramatic changes. If I am correct, smaller transfers might occur much faster.
NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Intel Core i7 8700K @5.1 Stable Delidded
Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
G skill TridentZ DDR4 ​4266 (PC4 34100)
Corsair HX1000i digital
EVGA 1070 GTX TiSuperclocked+
Samsung NVMe SSD 960 pro M. 2
Samsung 860 Pro
Watercooled with EK block radiator fans etc.

Snakeyes
Level 11
File transfers to NTFS are cached.
NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
Corsair HX1000i digital
Samsung 860 Pro

lazymon
Level 7
Hey thanks for the reply Snakeyes,

I'm new to the whole overclocking thing and was planning on getting a watercooler soon. That radiator you got looks pretty sweet. If you get time could you send me the OC info you use? I also have problems with my RAM I think where after about 24hrs uptime I start getting all kinds of visual anomalies and random Overclocking failed bootups. I put the voltage up on the RAM and that helped it stay up longer. I also noticed my RAM is specified as dual channel, but when I purchased from newegg the description was a quad channel kit. Wondering if anyone could explain if I got the wrong RAM or something?

Snakeyes
Level 11
Quad channel refers to the four sticks. What you have is a dual channel. You got very expensive and very good RAM. Just run it based on XMP and all should be fine. Overclocking beyond that will not give you any appreciable results. Also four sticks and 32 GB will put a strain on your system and further complicate overclocking your system and your ram.

As far as overclock settings, believe me on this, every system even with identical components is very different and transferring overclock settings will rarely, if ever, work. They are some very good "stickies" on this forum that help you work your way through overclock slowly steadily and safely. Start there and then post as you progress and I will be glad to assist you through the steps as you experience them. Also keep in mind, that different processors have very different overclock characteristics. I was lucky to get one that can run torture tests overnight at 4800 MHz with no issues. There are many identical processors that are lucky to be able to reach 4000 MHz and remain stable.

Best of luck and be patient, you have a very nice system. Build it slowly and enjoy it while you learn about it. Don't bother trying to overclock the ram beyond its specs. It has minimal real-world benefits when you do that.

Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
Corsair HX1000i digital
Samsung 860 Pro

lazymon
Level 7
I see, but am still confused as to why Corsair would list the 4 stick memory kit as a dual channel kit and Newegg calls it quad channel. I guess I am not the only one hah.

Edit: I went to look and Corsair does call it a quad channel ok I am dumb.