cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVE Dimm slots A1/A2 weirdness

Vereor
Level 7
I've been having a problem with a new build which I've searched all over to try and find answers to while trying to avoid the obvious 'RMA it' resolution before I know it's actually the board at fault.

Basically, DIMMS in slots A1 & A2 do not get picked up at boot-time or by any software, but in the BIOS 'Dimm post' section it shows DIMMS in those slots with its information. Also, in the DRAM Timings section it shows timings for that channel (A) but the values are 2-3 higher than the average values shown for the other three channels.

Before I start, this is the ram that I'm trying: http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=432

What I've tried:

• Following G.Skill's XMP settings (which they have since removed the link from their product page, odd)
  • VCCSA of 1.25v, up to 1.3v
  • Removing half the ram, 4 sticks in only the red slots
  • DRAM voltages to 1.65v
  • Updated BIOS (now at 2003)
  • Setting timings manually (10-10-10-30-2)
  • EZPlug 2 (the four pin connector) is plugged in
  • Adjusted waterblock mounting pressure

In all tests the results were the same, BIOS can 'see' DIMMS in Channel A slots (in the 'DIMM Post' and 'DRAM SPD' sections) but POST and most software cannot. I think I recall CPU-Z being able to see four DIMMS when I was booting with half the ram, which just made it stranger.

If it helps, I have installed Win8 RP and was noticing lockups where various windows and applications would hang, but the mouse was still perfectly usable. I've read this is typically a symptom of memory timing issues, but I'm not sure.

I'd be really grateful for any other insights as to the possible causes of this behaviour. I did the typical noob approach of building the system before powering on, so I'm a little hesitant to pull it all apart if it can be avoided:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18421049/tubejungle.JPG

The only thing I haven't yet tried is reseating the CPU, which seems to be commonly suggested for memory issues, but as you can see in the image, it will require a lot of effort to pop the CPU out and drop it back in, which is my own fault but I'd like to investigate all other possibilities before I go down that route.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Shamino
reseat cpu reseat dram thats the most common dimm doesnt get picked up solution.

I found some free time and decided to bleed my system and pull out my CPU, and I think I've found the problem:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18421049/damnpins.png

Could also see indentations where two pins had made contact with a single pad.

HiVizMan
Level 40
A steady hand and a sharp blade or a needle will sort that out for you. If you are not comfortable trying to straighten them yourself find a jeweller that still has a workshop and pay them to fix the pins.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I managed to pry the pin back into the right spot using a very small flat head screwdriver, and now everything is working more or less perfectly. Currently sitting at 4.6ghz with a full 64GB ram.

Thanks for your responses guys.

HiVizMan
Level 40
All good mate. Thread closed.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.