cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[RIVBE] Unknown USB Device (Error 43)

zitrone
Level 7
My brand new Rampage IV Black Edition shows some strange behavior: My computer notifies me about an error regarding an "Unknown USB Device". In Device Manager it is listed as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)". No hardware ids or anything of the sort can be obtained. It seems to be connected on "Port_#0002.Hub_#0003".
The only devices plugged into the computer are mouse (USB) and keyboard (PS/2), they do not seem to cause the issue. WiFi and Bluetooth are also working.
Everything is running at stock clock, I use Windows 8.1. I already tried reinstalling the operating system, resetting the BIOS, updating the BIOS, unplugging the Computer and removing the mainboard battery for about 10 minutes, to no avail. The error occurs whether all motherboard drivers are installed or not. It also seems all USB Ports are working (including the two internal USB-2.0 and the internal USB-3.0).
Does anyone have an idea what this could be? Should I simply try to get a replacement board? And, most importantly, what should be connected on "Port_#0002.Hub_#0003"?

Thank you all in advance!
7 REPLIES 7

zitrone
Level 7
I partially solved the problem myself: It is caused by the OC Panel, which is internally connected to a third USB-2.0 port. The USB port itself is working flawlessly (tested by using it for the front USB ports). I did not test the functionality of the OC Panel yet, but I don't know why it is connected via USB anyway.

HiVizMan
Level 40
The OC Panel is not connected via a USB port but via the comm cable. OR are we talking different OC panel?

To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

We are talking about the same OC Panel (the one that came bundled with the RIVBE).
It is connected via ROG_EXT, and for some reason this proprietary connector also takes up the third internal USB-2.0 connector. I did not know about this third USB connector until the problems appeared, but as it is working, the mainboard itself is fully functional.
Unfortunately I probably will not be able to perform any further testing in the next few days (it is possible something is wrong with the connection, the cable, or the OC Panel itself), but as I don't really need the OC Panel, a defective one would not be a big deal for me. I just hope someone experiencing the same weird symptoms will find this thread and be spared hours of testing 🙂

Necrosan
Level 12
ASUS doesn't actively advertise the header as USB but it indeed is.

Sounds like your device or cable may be bad as I have my doubts the header is.

i would not accept the product in that condition. Get a replacement from where you purchased it as soon as you can otherwise you will have to deal with the usually very slow ASUS RMA process.
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

Necrosan wrote:
ASUS doesn't actively advertise the header as USB but it indeed is.

It's there, page 1-42 calls it out as USB910 along with the other two headers, also it's hidden in the motherboard layout on 1-8. I vaguely remember somewhere it was made a bit more obvious than that, but nothing I could find.

I am using the header for my Corsair Link Commander since my ROG panel bricked on the firmware update. Works great.
Rampage IV Black Edition | 4960X 4.5 GHz x6 @ ~1.232V | 64 GB 2133 1.5V @ Stock XMP
2x Crossfire Matrix Platinum 7970s @ Stock | AX1200i | H100i | Corsair Link Commander
1 TB EVO | 3 TB WD Red | CoolerMaster Cosmos II

jeepcoma wrote:
It's there, page 1-42 calls it out as USB910 along with the other two headers, also it's hidden in the motherboard layout on 1-8. I vaguely remember somewhere it was made a bit more obvious than that, but nothing I could find.

I am using the header for my Corsair Link Commander since my ROG panel bricked on the firmware update. Works great.

Woops! Maybe this guy should read the manuals more often 😉
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

HiVizMan
Level 40
Totally agree with Necro on this one. Get the faulty cable replaced mate.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.