cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVBE SupremeFX - Audio crackle?

Jytra
Level 7
Hey all, was wondering if any other fellow RIVBE owners have run into this issue with their boards. Recently I decided to shuffle around my GPUs and remove my ZxR to see how the onboard would fare, and while the quality is decent (and the headphone amp seems to be able to handle my 600 ohm DT880s), I've started to noticed this sort of "crackling" sound that happens on certain sounds, like the Steam message sound or windows error sound. Strangely, the crackle doesn't happen at all when playing music or games, so it only seems to happen under very specific circumstances with very specific sounds.

Has anyone else run into this issue, or happen to try anything that fixed it?

Otherwise, I need to find a way to finagle a PCIe 1x ribbon from one part of the board to another...
20 REPLIES 20

xxLoTeKxx
Level 7
make sure your sound source is set to DVD quality in windows that should fix it if its not already set to DVD already

[/HR]

[/HR]

Jytra
Level 7
I already tested that side of things, and I also set it to CD quality to see if that would work. By default, I use 192kHz 24 bit.

xxLoTeKxx
Level 7
hmmm just wondering could the sound card on your video card be conflicting? just a thought think with nvidia you can disable it in the nvidia control center, not sure with ATI cards

i disabled mine sounds good here

[/HR]

[/HR]

Jytra
Level 7
Just tried that as well...no change.

So you don't hear a strange click/crackle when you click on the volume slider in windows? Have you used the built-in headphone amp at all?

xxLoTeKxx
Level 7
haven't heard any crackle ,I haven't used the headphone jack I have corsair vengeance 2100 wireless headphones
even when I have em wired its usb only, did hear static in headphones till I changed it to dvd quality
other then that sounds clear

are u running the latest bios 507? and is it set to HD in bios? also latest audio drivers think they just come out with an update, im running 6.0.1.7161

also I have my rig hooked to a 42" tv and use the speakers on it don't have any 7.1 surround sound here
don't know if that would make a difference or not

[/HR]

[/HR]

Jytra
Level 7
Yeah, latest bios, HD audio, and latest drivers from Asus' site.

However, your setup is almost completely independent from the onboard audio if you use the USB adapter for your headset, and HDMI to connect to your TV.

xxLoTeKxx
Level 7
no I have rca cables hooked to an adaptor and plugged into the green jack on the back I/O panel for sound
was the only way I could get sonic radar working which turns out wont overlay on any of the games I play lol

[/HR]

[/HR]

Raja
Level 13
1) Which port is the headphone plugged into ? Front or rear panel? See if it happens on both.

2) Try a debug install of Windows on a fresh OS if you have a spare drive. Minimum drivers, see if it still happens.

-Raja

Raja@ASUS wrote:
1) Which port is the headphone plugged into ? Front or rear panel? See if it happens on both.

2) Try a debug install of Windows on a fresh OS if you have a spare drive. Minimum drivers, see if it still happens.

-Raja

Hey Raja,

1) I use the front port connector for the headphone, and the rear port for my speakers. The headphone amp is set to Extreme, and I've set the audio panel to recognize the front and rear ports as separate signals simultaneously. The "crackle" happens on both of them.

I did notice something strange though, which could be related: When I was first connecting things, I had all the pop-up dialogues asking what devices I connected and how, and when I got to the headphones, the menu system enabled the headphone amp, but only for the front panel. When I changed from Performance to Extreme, there was a sort of "click" from the motherboard. Having used a ZxR previously, I know this means the 600 ohm amp kicked in, but attempting to go back down to a different power level doesn't seem to produce another click.

2) I'll see if I can find a spare HDD lying around, and test that.

Side question...if I put the ZxR into the bottom PCIe 16x port, would that drop the speed from 16x/8x/16x to 16x/8x/8x?