cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rivbe shutdowns

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK so I have gone from mild doubt about other threads on this to full doubt in the quality of my board.

At first reading other threads on sudden shut-downs I was wondering if they were RAM problems or folk trying to OC the same settings on RIVBE as on RIVE etc. etc.BUT I have now been through random power outs on the RIVBE on all 3 BIOS on 2 3930Ks and one 4930K

I have not doubted my PSU since it was properly tested recently but still just in case substituted this too....same power outs

I have had 2 kits of RAM on the board both set up Manually and XMP...same power outs

I have two GPUs same power outsI have three different SSDs and tried OS re-installs same power outs.

I have read recommendations to set current capability to 170% 180% which seem entirely unreasonable as these values are marked in RED in the BIOS and I presume for some reason...but even this while seeming to help in frequency did not eliminate entirely.

For the most part this has happened trying to OC the three processors BUT has happened twice at stock on a 3930 and the 4930.

My conclusion...slowly and disbelievingly is, the board is BAD...am I right. Seems like there is some power delivery issue here. Where is the cut-out...CPU or on the MB? Anything else to try? Am I reasonable in not wanting to set 180% current capability? Thanks for any help as always
68 REPLIES 68

Melting_Point
Level 10
Not much more you could do, apart from check the chokes are soldered on properly and RMA it. 180% is ridiculous. I theory, to should run fine at stock at 100%
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE

graphic
Level 11
sorry to hear your troubles Arne Saknussemm.
You have tried just about everything. I'm starting to
feel a bit worried about my build now.. still got
allot to do before first boot...

could be heat related, cpu, other componets.....
hmm, water block or cpu heat sink too tight on cpu...
read somewhere, check bios monitors fans etc, might report an error???
could it be the operating system, are you able to idle in bios
without shutting down?
I feel like a noob trying to suggest anything to you Arne... as you have
more experience... good luck

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Thanks graphic...all ideas welcome always something you forget but I must say that I have tried fresh OS on different SSDs and had three processors all do the same now so I am at a bit of a loss..

As far as I remember it has not crashed at idle... just when some load is placed on CPU... once at stock opening CPUz for example...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Thanks graphic...all ideas welcome always something you forget but I must say that I have tried fresh OS on different SSDs and had three processors all do the same now so I am at a bit of a loss..

As far as I remember it has not crashed at idle... just when some load is placed on CPU... once at stock opening CPUz for example...

I would have a good look at the chokes in your VRM.
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm I really doubt that is a common problem 😉

Raja@ASUS wrote:
If you find the board shuts down (no BSOD) when under load and restarts itself then navigate to the DIGI+ section of UEFI and set Current Inrush Inertia to Enabled and or set CPU Current Capability to 170%. UEFI builds over 0601 will auto patch this (to be released soon).

Hmm well, I am on latest BIOS 0602...

Can't remember if I tried Inrush inertia...will make sure I do try..

Would appreciate a bit of explanation regarding these two settings....what they are exactly...have read current cap is like power limit? but why red like warning in BIOS.

Am I having to run in the red zone or has the red zone moved to 280%?

Raja
Level 13
OCP - is simply a current trip threshold. Stock is 140%. Lower is for the 4 core CPUs. Leaky Ivy-E CPUs need over 160%, while SNB-E may need higher still (as those CPUs pull more current). No risk in setting high values. It's just like adding a bigger fuse to a circuit, only in this instance it is a reset-able fuse.

Current inrush inertia changes the VRM response to current loading. This setting was added primarily for Ln2 cooled CPUs to limit peak current surges and help CPUs to pass benches and help prevent rapid degradation. For some CPUs, setting this to "enabled" negates the need to set OCP to higher values.

Scale starts at 140% for 6 core parts. Below 140% is really only useful for 4 core parts which obviously pull less current than 6 core CPUs do.

-Raja

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi Raja...OK thanks for the explanation. Just this happened on all 3 CPUs I tried. I know I shouldn't compare but it's kind of inevitable I do...I never had to set more than 120% on the RIVE.:o I'm away from my rig for the weekend but will get back to playing around and see.

One thing on fuses...sure I can put a 45 amp fuse in a 5 amp light circuit but if something goes wrong the fuse doesn't blow but all the bulbs do....that isn't the analogy here though right?:rolleyes:

SnAFKe
Level 7
I'm having this problem too when i upgrade to 3602 random shutdown, the other bios i not have this issue with the same bios config, if i starting to have another shutdown i downgrade my bios as if solve this issue.

SnAFKe wrote:
I'm having this problem too when i upgrade to 3602 random shutdown, the other bios i not have this issue with the same bios config, if i starting to have another shutdown i downgrade my bios as if solve this issue.

Your issue may appear "similar" but there is no 3602 UEFI for the Rampage IV Black Edition, which means you have the R4E. Start a separate thread if you wish to discuss your issues please.