cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVBE + i7 4820K = no turbo mode

drakaet
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and in desperate need for help.

Motherboard model: RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION

UEFI Version: 0602 (Problem was with 0403 and 0507 too)

CPU: Intel Core i7 4820K

Memory kit part number (s) and amount in GB: Corsair Dominator GT 1866 - CMT32GX3M4X1866C9 - 32GB

GPU: 2x AMD Radeon R9 290X in Crossfire

SSD/HDDs/Optical drives: M4-CT256M4SSD2 (OS)

PSU: Enermax MaxRevo 1350w

USB Devices (model/version number): various

Monitor: 3x Acer S273HL

CPU Cooler: Custom Watercooled

PC CASE: Mountain Mods U2-UFO

Operating system: Microsoft Activated yes/no?: Windows 7 Ultimate (yes)

Drivers Installed (include version): the newest out are installed

Any third Party temp/voltage software installed: various

System Overclocked (provide details)? various attempts

Issue:

CPU does not switch into turbo mode. Not even if everything is at stock.

After quit a search through the net I finaly found a thread in this forum ("Strange bug in offset mode - 4960x - bios 4503") in witch my problem was dicussed at length, but with different hardware and sadly there was no word of a solution.

No matter what bios setup i have tried the cpu would only switch into turbo mode when windows is starting (~30sec), when using prime95, or setting Windows energy options to performence. Problem with the last, it would only run at the set turbo frequency and would not throttle into ideal mode.

I managed a stable overclock with manual vcore at 1.328V and core speed at 4700MHz, speedstep etc. turned of. No problems what so ever. But I would like to use the energy saving features when overclocking.
So i did what was mentioned in "Ivy Bridge-E Easy Overclocking Guide – The Listy/Wordy Edition" also in this forum.
Getting everything set up was no problem at all, i love the mobo for that, but as mentioned before the cpu will not switch into turbo mode under heavy load.

Hope someone can help...
14 REPLIES 14

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If it does turbo up with prime 95 and when loading windows etc. what "heavy load" are you running when it isn't? maybe something that doesn't demand 100% of the CPU?

Have you tried setting performance power plan and setting minimum processor state to 10% in advanced options for the power plan.

All Cstates and speedstep enabled in BIOS right?

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
You need to turn speedstep back on for any kind of "turbo" mode to take place, otherwise the CPU will constantly run at your OC 24/7 🙂

@ Arne:
"heavy load" - starting any other program or game. I have tried most of the common benchmarks, but the core speed never exceeded 3.7 no matter the load. I think there had to be scenarios where the core should have gone above 3.7.
Cstates and speeddtep were enabled. I went step by step through Raja's guide and also fund a realy good thread over at overclock.net.
Changing settings in the performance power plan, thats something I have not done yet. I will try that. Thanks.

@ Myk:
If I set up everything manually and force the turbo to work constantly everything is fine. Right now the cpu is at 4.8 with a vcore of 1.392V. So I'm sure the cpu can handle my turbo clocks. With all energy savings enabled I would like to run it at 4.5 but that is where my problem start.

When I set up my new build for the first time I had some difficulties finding and installing the newest drivers. Can "intel management engine interface" cause those problems? The download site from intel is, well I'm having a hard time finding things. But than this is my first intel build in over 10 years.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm well to rule out driver problems just install the ones from the ASUS website or CD in the box...they are not the very latest but are tested to work. Chipset and MEI etc.

drakaet
Level 7
I installed my OS from scratch with all the drivers from asus, but sadly the problem is still present. I also changed the power plan settings as proposed didn't change anything. The core goes up to 3.7 but not above. I tried with furmark and 3DMark, turbo mode was nowhere to be seen. But as soon as I did a prime95 run the core got up to 3.9.
Right now I have all bios settings at stock settings, all powersaving features turned on.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm fresh install...stock BIOS....should work...so I guess you have to look at returning something....difficult to know what between board and processor....any chance of substituting either?

I presume you have tried both BIOS and reflashed using fresh BIOS files...

drakaet
Level 7
I switched to BIOS 1 and flashed that from 0403 to 0602. But now matters are even worse. Back in windows I started prime95 and realized that the cpu stayed at 3.7, checked the BIOS again everything is at stock settings. Switched windows power plan to performence, but nothing changed. CpuZ shows a multi (12 - 39) but 37 is set. I will see what happens if I switch back to BIOS 2 tomorrow.

Testing cpu or motherboard with other components is not possible, bought the new build 3 months ago and took me other one month to get everything set up. The watercooling will make it a pain to take everything apart again.

In the other thraed "Strange bug in offset mode - 4960x - bios 4503" it sounded like it was a windows or bios bug. But I'm having the problem not just in offset mode.

I think i need a new hobby, like watching birds or collecting stamps... 😉

drakaet wrote:
I think I need a new hobby, like watching birds or collecting stamps... 😉

LOL yep, some days are like that...

I'm stumped....can't really think which of the two would be the culprit....I mean if the CPU works at manual settings I start to think board/BIOS but it could be either...

Raghar
Level 7
And have you tried to set minimal speed to 5 in balanced power plan?

BTW I always saying don't install watercooling until you tested everything on air.