cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rig not starting up after installing motherboard

xeNNNNN
Level 7
Hey peeps,

I'm currently having a rather annoying and confusing problem with my Maximus right now, I recently fitted my new motherboard in (which frankly looks amazing) and after i put everything together and double checked the connections I tried to get it to power up but for some reason only the the LED lights on certain parts of the motherboard are coming on but the nothing else will start up.

I was going to fiddle with it and do some trial and error but frankly im new to this particular motherboard and there are a lot of things that are "new to me" so I figured it was better to come here first before tinkering with it lol

anyway my rig specs are as follows:

Cooler Master CM690 II
i7 4790k
7970 3GB (stock not aftermarket)
8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 Vengeance Ram
212 EVO CPU cooler (would probably be better to get water cooling for my 4790k if i decide to overclock but i rarely need to)
Maximus Hero VII (obviously lol)
Seasonic 850W M12II

Now I am almost 60% sure right now that my power supply is the problem but I honestly dont know why, though I'm not entirely sure if im honest I feel like I'm missing something generally in terms of how I connected it but my PSU is relatively old considering how fast tech improves so I dont know.

I realise my "problem" is a little vague as well but I really can't explain it anymore than I already have...lights for the motherboard turn on but that's it nothing else.

everything was connected properly (we did check about 10 times out of frustration lol) but no power was going to my towers start button 😕 any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Will
9 REPLIES 9

Puffnstuff
Level 10
What does the qcode display say?
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

Puffnstuff wrote:
What does the qcode display say?

Unfotunately I cant even get that far.

Nahrga
Level 10
xeNNNNN wrote:
no power was going to my towers start button 😕 any ideas?

Have to tried to use the red "start" button on the board instead? It's right next to the RAM slots.

If that doesn't help you should see if you can borrow another PSU to test with. Then I guess it could be the PSU or the board itself maybe.

Nahrga wrote:
Have to tried to use the red "start" button on the board instead? It's right next to the RAM slots.

If that doesn't help you should see if you can borrow another PSU to test with. Then I guess it could be the PSU or the board itself maybe.

yeah we did, I cant understand why power wouldnt be going to the tower itself, I mean its possible we were simply careless and didnt fully check everything however im not convinced we were as we spent several hours double checking (slow checks/reading up as we havent used this board before).

Yeah I am considering that, though I dont really know anyone who'd be willing to lend me one. so I might as well buy another one.

That said, do you have any recommendations for PSU's that would go well with the board?

Nate152
Hello xeNNNNN

If you have the main 24 pin power and 8 pin cpu power cables connected and you're not getting a code from the motherboard it's either the psu or the motherboard, and seeing you have an old psu that would be the first thing to check.

I like the evga supernova psu's for the 10 year warranty.

Here is the evga supernova 1000w platinum. I will recommened you this psu in case you want to go sli/crossfire in the future you have the power to do it, otherwise a 750w - 850w would be fine.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Platinum-Certified-220-P2-1000-XR/dp/B00EKJQM5E/ref=sr_1_3/184-...

Nate152 wrote:
Hello xeNNNNN

If you have the main 24 pin power and 8 pin cpu power cables connected and you're not getting a code from the motherboard it's either the psu or the motherboard, and seeing you have an old psu that would be the first thing to check.

I like the evga supernova psu's for the 10 year warranty.

Here is the evga supernova 1000w platinum. I will recommened you this psu in case you want to go sli/crossfire in the future you have the power to do it, otherwise a 750w - 850w would be fine.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Platinum-Certified-220-P2-1000-XR/dp/B00EKJQM5E/ref=sr_1_3/184-...

nice its in my price range too 😛

need a new PSU anyway so ill probably get it.

as for the problem itself; it seems one of the connectors (2 4 pins), one of them was slightly too big so it wasn't fitting properly so it does seem like the 8 pin was the problem (from the PSU not the board itself) so it does seem i need a new PSU anyway 🙂

Nate152
The two 4 pin connectors should combine to make an 8 pin, you might want to double check to make sure it can fit.

But with the 24 pin main power cable connected you should still get code 00 without the 8 pin cable connected so a new psu looks to be in your future.

Just a quick update:

ive brought the new power supply, the PSU that nate suggested. However I am still in the same position I was before 😕

The Q code LED wont light up and meaning I cant see any error code or even the 00 code.

I connected both 8 pins at the top didn't work, I tried it with 1 it still didn't work.

does anyone know what could be wrong here? I feel like ive wasted my money.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Have you tried bench testing this motherboard outside of the case? More than likely there is an issue with a standoff being located in the wrong position. See the link on bench-testing in my signature.

A few other things to try once you remove the motherboard from your system
1) stick with stock cooler if possible
2) start with one memory module in the correct memory slot per the manual
3) follow the directions in my blog 🙂

Post back your findings please, always curious to find out what the problem was.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]