cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESIZE BAR for Z370/Z390 chipset

fred16
Level 7
Good afternoon,

I would like to know if a BIOS update will be released for the z370 / z380 motherboards with RESIZE BAR option?

Thanks
greetings
644 REPLIES 644

Roy10266 wrote:
(in Horizon Zero Dawn benchmark) Just like with the beta BIOS, ReBAR enabled gives me an average of 119 FPS instead of 139. 20 fps lost on the CPU side due to a bug with the BIOS. (PRIME Z370-A)

GPU is getting a higher score, but CPU takes a hit for no good reason. If you can't fix a bug from beta BIOS, why even say it's out of beta now?

Also, I don't know what ASUS did but ever since the BIOS releases after Version 2401, the CPU performance in 3DMark has tanked.

It's probably not a bug, ReBAR is not going to be a performance boost in every game and in some games it will be a detriment. Fully depends on the games etc.

As for the CPU performance, it's highly likely that these BIOS' contained Intel microcode updates due to the vulnerabilities in their CPU's which would have caused a reduction in performance. So in that case the blame is on Intel cutting corners rather than ASUS.

People either have unrealistic expectations or just don't know what ReBAR actually is...

https://babeltechreviews.com/z390-resizable-bar-performance/

godofwar424 wrote:
It's probably not a bug, ReBAR is not going to be a performance boost in every game and in some games it will be a detriment. Fully depends on the games etc.

What I don't understand in this is that ReBAR is only active in supported, white-listed games per default. So why would Nvidia whitelist a game when it leads to a performance loss?

vvoid wrote:
What I don't understand in this is that ReBAR is only active in supported, white-listed games per default. So why would Nvidia whitelist a game when it leads to a performance loss?

NVIDIA only supports the Ryzen 5000 series and Intel 10th/11th gen CPU's for ReBAR. They do not validate for anything else, so we are all running unsupported hardware for ReBAR. Therefore it's very much not on NVIDIA's whitelist to apply for us. For that reason i'm not even going to bother using ReBAR as it both requires the game to be designed more around it and also seems to be pretty meh on these "older" products.

godofwar424 wrote:
NVIDIA only supports the Ryzen 5000 series and Intel 10th/11th gen CPU's for ReBAR. They do not validate for anything else, so we are all running unsupported hardware for ReBAR. Therefore it's very much not on NVIDIA's whitelist to apply for us.

Would be interesting to see if that's really the cause, somehow I doubt it because even on "certified" hardware the ReBAR test results vary and sometimes show less performance, if I'm not mistaken.

But I agree, it's probably best to just disable ReBAR on a global level. Kinda sad because we were waiting for those 190x UEFIs for quite some time and then it turns out it's probably not such a good idea to actually use it...

reddeath
Level 9
Are there any benchmarks available for CPU performance for each ASUS bios version for Z370 motherboards?
I am still running bios 2102 on my Hero X Wifi. I wonder if I would get any performance degradation when updating bios to the latest 2701 (with Windows 11 support).
Does it make sense to update? Any idea if that version is really needed to run Windows 11, or just some minor default settings improvements?

Hello all, I'm having issue with the XMP profile not usable in this BIOS, while it worked on BIOS 1704.

I'm not sure about CPU benchmark though. I never did that. But, I have been doing MATLAB Neural Network training using this computer (and I use my CPU, 9900k to do the training), and get a very different training results from before I updated my BIOS from 1704 to 1903. While it is normal that MATLAB Neural Network training produces different results, they shouldn't be too far different per test, using the same settings. So, while I don't have benchmark performance values difference, there might be something different going on with the CPU, after the BIOS update.

Back to the XMP issue, below is my forwarded response from this link:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?125128-1903-BIOS-ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-series

I have Maximus XI Extreme. I can confirm that XMP doesn't work on this BIOS 1903, whether it's XMP I, or II. I use Trident Z Neo F4-3600C18Q-128GTZN. XMP used to work just fine in 1704, which is the version I used before I updated to 1903. Whenever I tried using the XMP, it always POSTs in safe mode, instead of a normal POST.

reddeath wrote:
Are there any benchmarks available for CPU performance for each ASUS bios version for Z370 motherboards?
I am still running bios 2102 on my Hero X Wifi. I wonder if I would get any performance degradation when updating bios to the latest 2701 (with Windows 11 support).
Does it make sense to update? Any idea if that version is really needed to run Windows 11, or just some minor default settings improvements?

If performance loss was due to microcode updates patching vulnerabilities than it's important to get them done, the performance loss was small for me but the security risk is a bit too big especially on a daily used machine.

WalesTsai
Level 7
BIOS
Version 1203
2021/07/24
WS Z390 PRO BIOS 1203
"1. Support WIN 11 installed or upgraded

It seems that WS Z390 PRO does not have the care of ASUS. There will never be RESIZE BAR support.

jologskyblues
Level 8
Re-BAR causes my PC to hang in games. I just turned it off. No biggie.

jologskyblues wrote:
Re-BAR causes my PC to hang in games. I just turned it off. No biggie.

You must have something setup wrong then it's working perfectly fine here on my 9700k and Maximus XI Hero with Cyberpunk, Star Citizen, Days gone and Resident Evil village.