cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting help (Asus crew aswell) from everyone that has 2 cents to throw in.

Ahaxz
Level 7
Hello everyone.

Lets start with some info of the HW.

Mobo is R4EBE
CPU 4930K
DUAL R9 290X ressolution is eyefinity 3 times 2560x1440 asus PBQ27 inch.... annyway verry nice monitors
Asus essence STX soundcard
Asus raidr.
Win 7 ulti 64 bit, 32GB of 1866 corsair vengeance ram quad channel
Raid 0 samsng evo pro 256
Samsng evo pro 512.
Corsair 1200i psu plugged in a APC 1500 PRO UPS for clean power
All noctua fans except the 3 200mm nzxt fans that came with the case
Phantom 820, sidefan removed for 3 more smaller fans and a water loop filter.

CPU MOBO GPU1 GPU2 all liquid cooled by 1 480 rad, 9 times 140mm rad (rad is outside room with seperate pump station)
Cpu cooler is Swiftech Apogee Drive II - APD2-2011 (1 pump)
2 pumps in serie, Laing D5-MCP655 12V - custom bitspower topping
And for the pumping station a Koolance PMP-500 Pump G1/4 with controller

If i have forgotten annythig feel free to ask.

Now the problems

1. Overclocking the cpu with 8 dimms used, latest bios gave me channel D1 and D2 not working.
The used ram is working for 110% but will swith to 4 dimms of dominators in 1 week.
XMP profiles used cpu at 4,5Ghz. Only overclocking in bios cpu voltage 1,295 i think. The last yellow vallue.
Im used to overclocking on the old R4E so all the rest ill type if required.
Now 1.1 running intel burn test gives me at very high 139gflops 57secconds. Core temp polling at the fastest rate gives me
A max TDP of roughly 90 watts max tdp of cpu should be 130
Temps of the cores are between 40 to 65 max degrees. Note, cpu overall 36 degrees via rog panel and core temp and AI suite wich
Controls the built on cpu pump that can go up to 3,8 litres a min if cpu value goes above 45 degrees (fan expert)
Waterloop does hardly exceed 32 degrees celcius with a flow rate of 2.5 litres a min ( massive rad keeps things cool)

Now why only 90 tdp instead of 130. And are the gflops comparable?

1.2 why are there only 3 dimm channels available.
1.3 overclocking the gpus is a disaster, had 1275 core both on old mobo and 1300 mem(dont like oc ing the mem too far)
Now 1050 core is a max and dont even bother with the mem. 14.3 beta driver or the whql one does notmater. No msi afterburner cause
That screws up my pc, amd conflict?

1.4 since the gpu s dont use a crossfire bridge can the ASUS RAIDR interfere with it someway ( had my stx in old system too, werked perfect.i did not have the raidr then)
1.5 had some gpu issues with stock bios and windows not recognizing the second card tho it works perfectly if i use the dip switches and reboot. No issues now with bios 60.......something.

1.6 is using the AI suite with 4 way performance also an issue. I just likethe fan xpert2 and wifi engine stuff.

Anny help is realy welcome.
http://www.catzilla.com/profil/userprofile/Ahaxz

My guess it has something to do with either ram or Raidr.
Hoping an official Asus member can help since 99% of my stuff is from Asus.

Now this took me 2 hours to type on a tablet since im abroad now. Sorry for the grammar girls out there.

Thank you in advance.
Ahaxz

Edited: Font size changed so that post is readable.
i7 3930K @ 4.7 GHz + EK HF supreme
Asus Rampage IV Extreme + EK WB's
32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR 3, 1866
ATI / AMD 5870's in Crossfire + EK WB's
2 x Intel 510 Series SSD's ( RAID 0 )
2 x WD Caviar Black ( RAID 0 )
Asus Xonar Essence STX
8 REPLIES 8

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15

jeepcoma
Level 10
1.0 Is your RAM on the QVL list? It seems most people having trouble with 8 sticks are either combining two kits or using non-QVL parts. As far as D1 and D2 not registering, try removing each stick and re-seating them. Sometimes they don't make good contact, even when they look seated. It's happened to me on more than one occasion. I'd focus on getting RAM sorted out before trying to tackle any CPU issues or overclocking.

1.1 I'm not sure I entirely follow, but it sounds like maybe the CPU isn't entering full turbo mode. Make sure your power profile is set to "High Performance", otherwise Windows will scale the CPU clocks down for reduced power consumption. It's pretty aggressive in the "Power Saver" mode.

1.2 fix the detection issues first. It's possible this is causing problems elsewhere in your system.

1.3 I am running 2x 7970s in SLI. Most trouble I've encountered has been problems with Windows and AMD drivers, not the MB. That said, when things are working, I can push a pretty substantial OC on my cards. How are your cards being supplied power? If they are all on the same PSU cable, try giving each its own bank on the PSU. Also, there is a 4-pin molex connector on the bottom of the board for extra GPU power that you could try supplying.

1.4 Can you force those new cards to work with the bridge or do they have to run SLI through the PCIe bus? I'd give that a try. If you can't disable the feature, maybe disable one of the cards and start testing OC with just one hooked up to see if it's more stable. Crossfire does not seem to be 100% refined yet.

1.5 I had a crash that corrupted the drivers for the second GPU, some error about not matching the POST config. I ended up solving it by using a driver cleaner in safe mode, turning computer off, removing second GPU, installing drivers, turn off, re-install GPU. I have no idea what happened, but I can tell you the computer crashed while adjusting the fan speeds through ASUS's GPU tweak software (speaking of instability...)

1.6 I agree, I don't like having to install AI Suite but I use it for fan control. I don't like the idea that things in the BIOS can have different settings when you open AI Suite, so I avoid doing any tuning with the software.
Rampage IV Black Edition | 4960X 4.5 GHz x6 @ ~1.232V | 64 GB 2133 1.5V @ Stock XMP
2x Crossfire Matrix Platinum 7970s @ Stock | AX1200i | H100i | Corsair Link Commander
1 TB EVO | 3 TB WD Red | CoolerMaster Cosmos II

Ahaxz
Level 7
Sryy for the font. Tried to change but tablet wouldnot cooperate, thanks for the help tho,!

Jeepcoma thanks for your input, my ram isnt on the list thatswhy im getting new dimms annyway. Tried reseating switching em around and all but did not work.

1.1 Huge "doh" on my end 🙂 so bussy with the other settings that i totally forgot that. Thanks

1.2 Will do!

1.3 Molex is coneccted, will give each card an own rail when im back, good tip.

1.4 The 290X cards dont have a bridge annymore so cant try that.

1.5 Did somewhat the same and it worked.

1.6 i will remove and reinstall AI suite and avoid the software oc ing

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it.
Ahaxz
Asus Xonar Essence STX

kkn
Level 14
remove AIsuite completly if you ask me.
try and run memtest86 and see if there pops up enny errors on the memory.

Ahaxz
Level 7
Well im going to get new memory thats list certified annyway so for the time im not home right now and the 2 day delivery service when i get back
Im not going to bother. Its a good idea dont get me wrong but for the few days left with old mem, meh. Im home on 7 april so cant test annything now.

Thanks for your input :cool:

Still wondering if the ASUS RAIDR impacts the oc ing of gpus. Since there is no xfire bridge everything has to go through
The pcie lanes.......
Asus Xonar Essence STX

Ahaxz
Level 7
Bump, comon Asus guys does the RAIDR interfere with the NO bridge only pcie linked gpu's??
Asus Xonar Essence STX

meankeys
Level 13
Will your board boot with just one stick of ram? I have a similar problem with my R4BE and should have my replacement shortly.

Ahaxz
Level 7
Yep, no issues there.
Asus Xonar Essence STX