cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing my R6E (i9-7900X) with the ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme (Xeon W-3175X)

CharlieH
Level 8
I feel ASUS is disreputable and choose to replace my posts in this thread since I cannot delete them or this thread.
152 REPLIES 152

xarot
Level 11
Oh wow. I am surprised you deleted all posts in this thread for the lighting issue only. But I know you are an enthusiast so you will feel very frustrated if you can't get it to work like expected. I feel those RGB control programs don't even work properly be it Asus or anything else. Last time I installed some AURA poop it took like 10 % CPU for my i9-9900X and I uninstalled everything. The good thing is that I like them rainbow-style at stock. 🙂 And for Gfx you can install AURA, set the settings, and uninstall then.

But to mention I also got the W-3175X and Dominus and boy what a ride it has been for me.

First, I got all the items from US all the way to Finland and both used. I was very afraid of the known 00 code issues posted everywhere, but surprisingly I didn't have this issue. But I had a bunch of other issues: memory not detected, odd behaviour, drivers crashing, everything crashing...I almost abandoned the build. From what I have learned so far is that you should NEVER buy any ASUS "limited edition" stuff. There is too often problems with them that they don't care to fix. For volume items they need to fix the issues.

Anyway for the problems I had in the end it was all down to tightening the block all the way perfectly with my first Byski water block. It took like 20-30 mounts to get it properly done. Sigh. After biting the bullet and buying the EK Velocity WS block I didn't have any of those issues. It's just that with the TIM I cannot overclock past 4 GHz to be stable in Prime95 and deal the heat. 🙂 Delidding with the mounting nightmare seems like a no-go. I also needed to abandon my Intel 750 1.2TB with this board as it was not detected everytime for some reason.

Oh and I also had to use dremel to cut my Phanteks Enthoo Primo case to make it fit. Are you still running this rig?
Main: i9-10980XE - Rampage VI Extreme Encore - 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 CL16 - Strix RTX 3090 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Corsair AX1500i - Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB + Intel 600P 1TB - Water cooling
HTPC: i7-6950X - X99-M WS - 32 GB G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-2400 - GTX1050TI - Bitfenix Pandora - Corsair AX860 - Intel 750 400 GB + Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO
All around: i9-7980XE - Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB G.Skill 4000 CL18-19-19-39 - Strix RTX3090 - Phanteks P500A - Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB - Water cooling

send me a message.

automobile
Level 7
Did anybody try G-Skill Hexa-Channel Memory for this board (I didn't find any for sale)