cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing my R6E (i9-7900X) with the ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme (Xeon W-3175X)

CharlieH
Level 8
I feel ASUS is disreputable and choose to replace my posts in this thread since I cannot delete them or this thread.
152 REPLIES 152

nyxagamemnon
Level 7
Can you link the install vids for the CPU? Also I'm curious if you remove the waterblock does the caddy hold the CPU down or is the cpu going to pull out of the socket and risk damaging the socket if u want to replace the tim?

I feel ASUS is disreputable and choose to replace my posts in this thread since I cannot delete them or this thread.

CharlieH
Level 8

CharlieH
Level 8
I have been asked in private messages why I tore this thread down and here is why for those interested (BTW I mentioned this issue out here in this thread several times but no one gave it the time of day out here either, I even made a post specifically asking for help getting it fixed, long before I raised it to G.SKILL and the ASUS Office of the CEO, which was a waste of effort BTW):

ASUS and G.SKILL listed the G.SKILL memory (F4-3466C16Q2-128GTZR) I purchased on their QVL. I spent as you know $1800 on the MB and an additional $1300 on the memory. Overall I spent 20K+ on the build/rig. All I wanted was for ASUS and/or G.SKILL to fix the memorys' RGB so I could make it blue like the rest of my RGBs. Nope. G.SKILL committed fraud IMO instead of supporting/fixing the issue they pulled the MB off the QVL. ASUS in turn after I reported this whole debacle to the Office of the CEO instead of stepping up and fixing the issue which I believe is really their issue not G.SKILLs they sent me back a feel good letter with no help/action not even pulling the memory from QVL. I am done spending my hard earned money at companies who do not treat customers correctly. The sad thing is this has been my favorite rig and the most fun ever. And ASUS and G.SKILL have ruined my experience. To the point I doubt I'll ever build another rig ever.

Here is a list of a few of the ASUS MBs I own:
ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution
ASUS P8H67-M LE
ASUS P8P67 EVO
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe_GEN3
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme
Asus X-99 WS1
ASUS X99-A
ASUS X99-E WS
ROG Dominus Extreme
ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA

I recently in the past few months have speced out 2 full systems for fellow software developers rigs which they purchased based on my recommendations that included top of the line ASUS MBs. All my reviews of the ASUS products I buy have been stellar. Including up to a few days ago the ROG Strix Arion M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure. I plugged that $56 part into a MSI laptop installed AURA and bam it controlled the RGBs on it no problem, ASUS took the time to update AURA for it but cant take the time to fix it for my rig soo frustrating. So this all stops I am updating all my reviews on the sites I bought ASUS and G.SKILL parts to not recommend them as well as no longer recommending to my customers and fellow developers ASUS or G.SKILL parts now and in the future.

And finally as part of this build (I never mentioned this in this thread before) I even ate the cost of a $1300 ASUS 2080TI GPU when it failed (won't clock up past 300 now) after trying on those bad GPU blocks I got mentioned in this thread. I didn't try to RMA it to ASUS and claim it failed on its own. Or blame EK or the company online that sold the blocks even though they were the actual cause. And the GPU shouldn't have failed it should have shut off and came back fine it was only started up once and when the temps were not right it was shutdown immediately, the other GPU was ok and didn't fail like that. I try to be fair and own up to what happens on my part why can't ASUS.

CharlieH
Level 8
So funny but not funny. I got an email a few days ago from G.SKILL stating they pulled the ASUS ROG Dominus from their QVL for that memory due to "updated testing results" which is just not right in all kinds of ways but at least they admitted their memorys' RGB cannot be controlled by the ASUS ROG Dominus. Personally I feel that is fraud. Today a new person from ASUS Office of the CEO reached out to me and told me the ASUS product manager says it does work "Since the memory is listed on the ASUS QVL and has not been removed this would mean there is not a compatibility issue." and if it doesn't (of course a list of debugging steps I have already done first to verify my memorys' RGB cannot be controlled) get G.SKILL to replace the memory. So here I am back again with no support from either company on products that were advertised as compatible and working together. Now one company saying they are not. And the other saying they are and if they don't work get a replacement from the company that says they are not compatible due to the RGB not working. Absolutely ridiculous and very unprofessional of both companies. My only hope in this is ASUS steps up, does the right thing, and fixes the issue. Otherwise I am still here as a ex devoted, loyal customer stranded with a terrible looking rig duped by both companies.

CharlieH
Level 8
Here is where shady is very shady with G.SKILL and the ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme. Here are 4 articles mentioning new G.SKILL memory for the ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme:
https://www.gskill.com/community/1502239313/1562831307/G.SKILL-Showcases-Extreme-DDR4-Live-Demo-Kits...
https://www.gskill.com/community/1502239313/1550826937/G.SKILL-Announces-New-Hexa-Channel-Massive-Ca...
https://www.gskill.com/community/1502239313/1560135161/G.SKILL-DDR4-Memory-Achieves-DDR4-5886-&-23-O...
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/memory/g_skill_launches_crazy_6-channel_ddr4_trident-z_memory_kits_...

When I search the G.SKILL site I get 0 results for ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme. The reason I searched their site is because when I go to their RAM configurator the chipset Intel C621 on the ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme is not a option therefore I cannot seem to get to pick the ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme motherboard to find any compatible memory what so ever. Even trying to find the memory for sale anywhere they get press on using the ASUS name and the ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme motherboard seems impossible. Why ASUS puts up with this G.SKILL company or even does any business with them what so ever, while G.SKILL is using these tactics including removing the ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme from a QVL instead of supporting it like in my case it absurd. you would think ASUS would not want to put its' loyal customers in these positions dealing with what I feel is a shady disreputable company. And ASUS has a ton of G.SKILL memory listed on their ASUS Dominus Extreme QVL which even some of that has RGB (wonder if it works?) besides mine.

When I did the research for my memory I went to the ASUS site first looked at their QVL, finally found some memory listed for sale. Then I went to the G.SKILL site and verified that model of memory was compatible and it was. Since then G.SKILL has removed it as compatible. That was the only way I could even find memory because of what I feel is all the bogus advertising of non-existent fully compatible memory for the ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme including both companies QVL especially ASUSs' QVL.

CharlieH
Level 8
OK so Kim D. passed me off to Robert T. at the Office of the CEO for ASUS. He was the one I sent the email from G.SKILL which I copied below that claims the memory does not work.. They re-tested it and pulled the ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme from their QVL. Robert is either incompetent or ignorant or something. When the manufacturer claims they re-tested the memory and pull it from their QVL you know it doesn't work as well as I tested it and it doesn't work. Robert T. should be fired. Someone who reads this forum should step up and help that works for ASUS. But this is why I tore down this thread and say I feel ASUS is disreputable for doing business with G.SKILL in the first place given what I feel and shown above and with the email below is their shady practices. Employees like Robert T. continue to do a dis service to ASUS and their customers. Here is the email from G.SKILL.

Dear Customer,

We apologize for the inconvenience.

According to our updated testing results(https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/166/1536566489/F4-3466C16Q2-128GTZR-Qvl), ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme is not listed/supported, so we are unable to guarantee the compatibility when using G.SKILL software to control the lighting on the memory.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Best Regards

Tech Support Team

G.SKILL International Enterprise Co., Ltd.
8F No. 69 DongXing Rd., Xinyi District
Taipei City, 11070 Taiwan (R.O.C.)
+886 2 2766-7889
http://www.gskill.us/forum/