cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reboot loops on M6E when overclocking Hynix CFR-based kits

Sabishii_Hito
Level 7
I don't know what the issue is, but anytime I try to clock CFR-based kits over 2800MHz, I just get continuous reboot loops. I never get a solid LED code like "55" that can tell me what the problem is. These are kits I've tested for 3000 C12 on a different brand Z87 platform with the same CPU, so I know there is no limitation there. I've enabled MRC Fast Boot, Latency Compensator, all the Swizzling bits and Raw MHz Aid with no luck. I'm not sure what is going on in the training process that is failing. The kits are G.Skill Trident X 4x4GB 2666C11 and Corsair Domniator Plat 4x4GB 2800C11. I've tried VDIMM from 1.65~1.95v with no change.
30 REPLIES 30

Nodens
Level 16
Did you try setting manual timings entirely?
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Sabishii_Hito
Level 7
Primary timings and command rate (12-14-14-35-2N)

Nodens
Level 16
Let me rephrase, are you using XMP? If yes, try disabling XMP and enter all timings manually. If you're not using XMP and you're only setting primary timings, check what is set automatically on secondary/tertiary timings.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Sabishii_Hito
Level 7
Not using XMP since I'm overclocking the modules. I can't give you the secondary and tertiary timings because it won't POST at the overclocked settings.

Actually I've managed to get 2933 C12 to boot consistently by using initial BCLK slightly less than 100MHz. I've taken screenshots of the auto-set secondary and tertiary timings.

Sabishii_Hito
Level 7
All four slots are populated, 4x4GB. As mentioned, this passed Super Pi 32M with the same CPU and sticks on a different Z87 mobo.

Chino
Level 15
What you can do is write down the secondary and tertiary timings from your other Z87 motherboard and input them manually on the M6E when you're overclocking your kits.

Sabishii_Hito
Level 7
The 4GB/8GB Raw MHz RAM profile is pretty close to the other board's auto settings, aside from looser tRFC which I manually set to 240. Oddly enough, that seems to work okay for 2 DIMMs but not 4 DIMMs.

Nodens
Level 16
Pretty close or identical other than tRFC? Because in many cases pretty close won't cut it:) Verify please that you have the exact same timings as the other board and it still doesn't work. I'm trying to figure out if it's the auto settings for your particular RAM kit that's off or there's some other sort of incompatibility:)

Ona side note did you try Maximus Tweak Mode 1?

You can try these changes (assuming you're setting 12-14-14-35-2T primary timings):

DRAM Refresh Interval: 8000
DRAM Write Recovery Time: 16
DRAM Read to Precharge Time: 8
DRAM Write to Read Delay: 8
CAS Write Latency:13

tWRRD_dd:8

DRAM CLK Period: 14

These are changes from your screenshot. Also apply these voltages.

VCCSA: 1.25
IO A: 1.25
IO D voltage:1.25
If these settings get it to boot properly start tweaking down timings (while respecting relationships between timings) and VCCSA/IO voltages.

If it doesn't boot with these settings either you can test DRAM Swizzling Bit 0, 1 ,2 (leave 3 on) and IC Optimizer (while keeping these RAM settings) as your DIMMs may or may not like Swizzling bits and IC Optimizer.

RealBench Developer.