cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid degradation or ignorance?

zed
Level 7
I've had my 4930k for a little over a month. When I initially started overclocking it I was able to reach 4.6 GHz and run prime95 for over 24 hours at around 1.34v without error or BSOD. Now it requires around 1.44v to pass prime95 for even just eight hours, haven't had the time to try 24 hours yet.

I have put the CPU back to stock clock and auto voltage just to ensure that something else like the RAM wasn't causing the instability and it wasn't, I'm able to run prime95 for over 24 hours with the CPU at stock clock. I have also tried dropping the DRAM frequency down to 1333 MHz also to ensure it wasn't the IMC but, with the CPU overclocked that also fails.

I've tried setting the voltage with both manual and offset, both seem to yield the same results.

I've tried reinstalling the OS just in case it was a corrupt OS causing the 0x124 BSODs.

I've tried both bios versions for the R4BE: 0403 and 0507.

I'm completely lost at this point to what has caused the massive voltage requirement increase and hopefully someone can point out where I've gone wrong or confirm my CPU is just rapidly degrading.

Quick summary of my settings:
Multiplier: 46x
DRAM: 2133MHz 9-11-10-27-1T 1.65v
CPU Vcore: +160mV or 1.440v manual
CPU VTT: 1.050v (have also tried up to 1.200v)
CPU VCCSA: 1.125v (have also tried up to 1.200v)
CPU PLL: 1.800v

CPU Current Capability: 180%
CPU LLC: Medium, High, Ultra High (tried all three)
CPU VCCSA LLC: High
VCCSA Current Capability: 130%
DRAM Current Capability: 130%
8 REPLIES 8

Raja
Level 13
It could well be degradation - the issue with running heavy loads on CPUs for hours on end like handbrake, Prime, 3DS Max etc is that when we are overlcocked with a voltage increase, we are pulling up to 2X more current through the CPU than it was designed to comfortably handle. There is always the chance of having a weaker sample than average and falling prey to such things.

I am of course assuming that you have setup Prime to work exactly the same between this period - amount of memory assigned etc. The latter has an impact on the level of stress imposed upon the system.

zed
Level 7
Yeah, prime95 v279 and v283 and using 26,000 MB of RAM.

Raja
Level 13
To be honest with you - depending upon that level of LLC, the voltage you are using is not far off what I've seen these CPUs need on average in full load testing.

As a debug, try setting VCCSA and VTT to 1.30V or so and let's see if your Vcore requirements drop somewhat. It may also be prudent to note the FFT length the system fails on. I have at times run th failing FFT manually to save having to run Prime for X hours just to get to it...

Also, please try setting CPU Inrush Current to enabled and see what happens for stability and Vcore required...

-Raja

PS. You are up late! Time for you to get some rest and tackle this tomorrow I think 🙂

zed
Level 7
Thank you for the suggestions, I will definitely try them. Also, that's a good idea regarding the FFT length. I'll get back to you with some results when I have them.

zed
Level 7
Even with the VTT and VCCSA voltages at 1.3v the system bsods very quickly with anything below 1.42v

Raja
Level 13
I think the CPU is what it is. Just run it the way you need to I suppose.

-Raja

zed
Level 7
Yeah I believe you're right, thanks for the suggestions.

Raja
Level 13
Np 🙂