cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random BSOD encountered on Crosshair Formula-Z

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Greetings all,

My system has been rock solid for just about a year of running now so I did a few upgrades/changes:

30 days ago:
Upgraded to Asus R9 290X Grahpics card
Upgraded PS to Thermaltake DPS 750
Upgraded to Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 4GB DDR3 1866

7 days ago:
upgraded to BIOS version 1701 and made a few BIOS tweaks (enable Quiet'n'cool and AIcharge)

Problem:
After installing Windows to a "new" SSD drive I began to have random BSOD which I wrote off as driver issues when trying to complete an install of Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (which I eventually did after a two hour install) to new hardware. After thinking I was having a problem with a possbile bad SSD drive I returned to my standard SSD drive which contained a installation fo Windows 7 Professional 64-bit which had been working flawlessly until I saw a BSOD withing minutes of logging in.

I did witness some of the BSOD which listed "memory" as well as "IRQ out of range". I did check the event log and there has been an error with HCMON. It appeared that playing audio via Pandora really seemed to cause the sytsem to BSOD within minutes

What I have done to resolve problem:
1) reverted back to a single 4 GB memory module and moved from one slot to another...still having problems with BSOD but not as frequent
2) reverted back to BIOS 1602
3) lowered the voltages back on the R9 290X card (the voltages have been stock but I read somewhere that I should be running 1.5V vs. the default value of 1.6

Since I completed items 2 & 3 above my system has been running non-stop for over 4 hours wihtout a BSOD. Tonight when I return home I plan to install the second module and see the results.

Thanks-Brian

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]
3 REPLIES 3

HiVizMan
Level 40
How many modules of memory are you running and are they from the same kit of memory?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
I ran the system for over four hours on Thursday morning with one 4GB module installed (new memory). Today I installed the second 4GB module (the mate to the new memory) and it seemed to be rock steady playing Unreal Tournament for six hours.

I did also set the memory speed to 1866 (vs. Auto) in the BIOS per the advice of one of my students who also has the Crosshair. At this point I'm going to assume the random BSOD were related to one of the following BIOS settings I modified:
1) enabling the AI Charger in the BIOS (I believe I enabled this feature in the BIOS in the past and I had random BSOD too)
2) enabling Quiet'n'Cool (I think I read in the manual that this actually speeds up the CPU when disabled anyways)

Thanks-Brian

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

HiVizMan
Level 40
No worries Brian just remember we are here is you need us.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.